Guides for Government Compact Discs (CD's)
Return to Guides for CD's menu.
U.S. Exports of Merchandise
1. What is it?
- A statistical CD-ROM with information about materials exported from the United States. It reports export quantity, value, shipping weight, country of destination and the method of transportation. (A disc with import data is also available.) Historical export data for 1989-2005 is on discs under call number C 3. 278/3:
2. Who produces it?
- U.S. Commerce Department, Census Bureau.
3. Are there guides to using it?
- Harmonized Tariff Schedules, ITC 1. 10: (year) is a guide to the classification system used. There is a technical documentation manual for the CD series also: C 3. 278/3: Ex 7/Im 7/doc./(year)
4. Is it updated?
- A new disc is published every month. Library keeps the current year only. Historical data is available as noted above.
5. Can the CD-ROM's be checked out?
6. Sudoc number (discs' call number in Calvin T. Ryan Library):
- C 3. 278/3: (year/month)
7. Is there a paper equivalent in Calvin T. Ryan Library?
- No exact equivalent. Several series of export and import data are available on microfiche, C 3. 164: 900/(nos.) and C 3. 164: 925/(nos.) (microfiche cabinets, Government Documents area)
- The initial screen shows the beginning of a list arranged by the Harmonized Tariff Schedule number. Use the Page Down key to scroll through the list or move the cursor to the item you want and press Enter.
- The next screen shows four-digit categories. After you pick from this list, a six digit list appears. Choose from this list and you will see a screen of data about the most recent month's exports of the product you selected. Press the Page Down key to see the year-to-date and Page Up to return to the monthly data display.
- Press Enter again for a list of countries to which that product was exported. Use the cursor and the Enter key to see statistics on each country. You may also select data according to the U. S. customs district from which it was exported. A menu will appear of this option is available.
- None available on screen. See manual in 3., above.
- Press P. Move cursor to "Printer".
- Press Enter.
- The Report function:
- Pressing R for "Report" prints off (or creates on your floppy disk) a lengthy document that covers each country and customs district for the product you have called up. It is not recommended because of its length, but is available.
- Place a portable storage device in drive.
- Press C (Enter). Select the format you wish.
- When "File Name: C:\" appears, erase C:\ and type (drive letter):\ (and the name you give your file).
- Press End.
- Type Y.
Format, courtesy of Robert Lopresti, Wilson Library, Western Wash. University., Bellingham, WA
Diana J. Keith
Head, Government Documents Department
Calvin T. Ryan Library
University of Nebraska at Kearney
Kearney, NE 68849-2240
Revised July, 2009