Guides for Government Compact Discs (CD's)
Return to Guides for CD's menu.
Publications for the NCHS: National Center for Health Statistics Featuring Health, United States, 1996-1997
1. What is it?
- This CD contains a number of full-text publications from the National Center for Health Statistics including:
- Health, United States (4 editions)
- Publications from eight data series that are part of the Vital and Health Statistics series
- Monthly Vital Statistics (natality, mortality, divorce, marriages, births, fertility) from 1992 -
- Healthy People reports from 1994 and 1995-96 plus a series of newsletters
- Reports from the Advance Data series
- A selection of "Other Publications" including Atlas of U. S. Mortality, bibliographies, catalogs of publications, a report to Congress on out-of-wedlock childbearing, the Third Report on Nutrition Monitoring in the United States, life tables
- Where to Write for Vital Records
2. Who produces it?
- National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U. S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.
3. Are there guides to using it?
4. Is it updated?
- Yes; it is published annually.
5. Can the CD-ROM be checked out?
6. Sudoc number (disc's call number in Calvin T. Ryan Library):
- HE 20. 7042/7:(volume/number) Newer years are under HE 20. 7042/7-3: (year)
7. Is there a paper equivalent in Calvin T. Ryan Library?
- Yes, all of the publications are available in paper in the Documents Collection. Each has a different call number; ask for help at the Documents Department offices or the reference desk (main floor). Many can be located by title in the online catalog.
- The initial screen has the table of contents for the CD on the left and a welcome and introduction on the right side.
- Click on any title in the table of contents and the document and its table of contents will appear.
- By advancing to the screen after the initial one, you may pick which set of documents you want: "Health, United States", "Vital and Health Statistics Series", "Monthly Vital Statistics Report", "Healthy People 2000", "Advance Data", or "Other Publications". Click on the desired set and then the icon of binoculars with a page behind them on the tool bar. A list of titles will appear. Click on the title desired to bring up the text.
- You may also search for a subject by using the plain binocular icon (one with no page behind it). After the initial search, click on the binoculars again and you can move to the next place in the document where your word/subject appears.
- Once you are in a document, use the magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen to zoom the image so the text is larger.
- The double left arrow at the top will return you to the main menu, one screen at a time.
- None is available on the CD.
- Click on "File", top left.
- Choose whether you want "All pages", "Current Page", or "Span of pages" (enter the pages of the span).
- Insert portable storage device in drive.
- Click on "File" and then "Export document to Text"
- Change the "File name" to the name you want.
- At "Save in", scroll up and pick your drive designation.
- Click on "X" in box at top right to completely close it down. The "X" below it closes the program you are in. Then click on upper "X" box to close the Acrobat reader.
Format, courtesy of Robert Lopresti, Wilson Library, Western Wash. Univ., Bellingham, WA
Diana J. Keith
Head, Government Documents Department
Calvin T. Ryan Library
University of Nebraska at Kearney
Kearney, NE 68849-2240
Revised July, 2009