Guides for Government Compact Discs (CD's)
Return to Guides for CD's menu.
OSHA CD-ROM: Occupational Safety and Health Administration
1. What is it?
- OSHA CD-ROM contains an extensive library of files related to job safety.
- Sections of the main menu:
- CD-ROM Help, Standards & Related Information, Compliance Information, Downloadable Software, What's New, OSHA Documents, Media, Internet Information, Contents, Technical Information, Other Agencies, and Comments and Suggestions.
2. Who produces it?
- U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
3. Are there guides to using it?
- Help is available by selecting "CD-ROM Help" on main menu.
4. Is it updated?
5. Can the CD-ROM be checked out?
6. Sudoc number (disc's call number in Calvin T. Ryan Library):
- L 35. 26: (numbers)
8. Is there a paper equivalent in Calvin T. Ryan Library?
- OSHA contains thousands of items, some of which C. T. Ryan Library has in paper ( Code of Federal Regulations, congressional hearings, etc.) You may look up a specific title or series in Marcive WebDOCS index on the Library's online system.
- Select the database you want to search from the main menu.
- Most important sections:
- "Standards and Related Information": regulations, manuals, interpretations
- "Compliance Information": chemical sampling information, compliance directives, interpretations
- "OSHA Documents": manuals, directives, fact sheets, hazard information bulletins
- "Contents": table of contents for the whole disc
- Select the database desired and then the title within that database, i.e., regulations. You may then use the "Search" button at the top of the screen to look for a word or phrase in the document. Click on the item(s) found by the search to retrieve the text.
- Select "CD-ROM Help" from main menu. The next menu has selections which include basic topics, definitions, and detailed help for the Folio software. Under "Basic Topics" is information about printing, saving to a disk, searching, and other subjects.
- To print, click on the printer icon at the top of the screen. The default is to print the record you are viewing (look at the bottom left of the screen). You may change to a different range of records if desired.
- Instead of a printer icon, you may need to use "Print" under the "File" menu bar selection. Use this if no printer icon appears on the screen you are viewing.
- Place a portable storage device in drive.
- To copy (download) the entire file you see on your screen:
- Select "File" from the top menu bar. Then select "Export Document to text".
- Type in your file name in the "file name" box.
- Next, click on the drive window and scroll up.
- The file will copy immediately.
- Click on "X" box at top right of screen.
Format courtesy of Robert Lopresti, Wilson Library, Western Wash. Univ., Bellingham, WA
Diana J. Keith
Head, Government Documents Department
Calvin T. Ryan Library
University of Nebraska at Kearney
Kearney, NE 68849-2240
Revised July, 2009