Census 1990 STF1A: 1990 Census of Population and Housing, Summary Tape File 1A, 100% Data (STF1A)
1. What is it?
- A set of statistical CD-ROMs, containing data from the U.S. 1990 Census of Population and Housing. This set contains what is called "100% data," which means answers to questions that appeared on census forms sent to all households. There is information about people and housing units at the state, county, municipality, and other levels, down to the block group level. (See also the Census PL94-171, Block Statistics, Summary Tape File 1C, and Summary Tape File 3A CD-ROMs.)
- 1990 census data is also online: http://www.census.gov/main/www/cen1990.html
The information is stored on a number of separate CD-ROMs (see list, below), which are named for the region they cover.
C 3. 282:
- :990-1C. United States Summary
- :990/East-North-Cen./v. 1, East North Central Division, Vol. 1: Indiana, Ohio
- :990/East-North-Cen./v. 2, East North Central Division, Vol. 2: Illinois
- :990/East-North-Cen./v. 3, East North Central Division, Vol. 3: Michigan, Wisconsin
- :990/East-South, East South Central Division: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee
- :990/Middle-Atl./v. 1, Middle Atlantic Division, Vol. 1: New York
- :990/Middle-Atl./v. 2, Middle Atlantic Division, Vol. 2: New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- :990/Mount., Mountain Division: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada,
- New Mexico,Utah, Wyoming
- :990/New England., New England Division: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts,
- New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- :990/Pacific/v. 1, Pacific Division, Vol. 1: Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington
- :990/Pacific/v. 2. Pacific Division, Vol. 2: California
- :990/Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico
- :990/South-Atl./v. 1, South Atlantic Division, Vol. 1: Delaware, District of Columbia,
- Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia
- :990/South-Atl./v. 2, South Atlantic Division, Vol. 2: North Carolina, South Carolina
- :990/South-Atl./v. 3, South Atlantic Division, Vol. 3: Florida, Georgia
- :990/West-North/v. 1, West North Central Division, Vol. 1: Minnesota, Missouri, South
- :990/West-North/v. 2, West North Central Division, Vol. 2: Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska,
- North Dakota
- :990/West-South/v. 1, West South Central Division, Vol. 1: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma
- :990/West-South/v. 2, West South Central Division, Vol. 2: Texas.
2. Who produces it?
- U.S. Commerce Department, Census Bureau
3. Are there guides to using it?
- See: 1990 Census of Population and Housing, Summary File 1A on CD-ROM Technical Documentation: C 3. 282: 990/doc.
4. Is it updated?
- Additional data from the 1990 Census has been released in both paper format and CD-ROM. Summary Tape File 3A CD-ROMs contain much more detailed information from a sample of the U. S. population. Paper census reports for Nebraska are in the Government Documents Reference Collection, call number C 3. (200's):
5. Can the CD-ROM's be checked out?
6. Sudoc number (discs' call number in Calvin T. Ryan Library):
- C 3. 282: (see list above for second part of call number)
7. Is there a paper equivalent in Calvin. T. Ryan Library?
- For earlier censuses, ask at Documents Dept. offices. Paper 1990 census reports for Nebraska are in the Documents Reference Collection. Reports for the other 49 states are in the main government documents collection and can be checked out. Call numbers all start with C 3. (200's): 1990 census data is also online: http://www.census.gov/main/www/cen1990.html
- Reports from the 2000 census are online: http://www.census.gov/main/www/cen2000.html
- a. Use the arrow keys to select a state. Press Enter.
- Select a geographical division. For many users "Place" is the best choice.
- The manual defines the various geographical terms.
- Once you have arrived at a particular geographical division, you can move the cursor to many different categories of information, such as data by race, by age, etc.
- The manual defines the various categories.
- Once you have selected the numerical data you can press B to Browse; that is, to compare data with other places at the same geographical level.
- b. HELP:
- None available on screen. See manual, 3. above.
- c. PRINTING:
- Press P.
- If you want to print the data on the screen, press Enter when the cursor is over "Complete Table for This Area". If you want to print what you saw under Browse, move the cursor to "Single Item for Several Areas" and press Enter.
- Move cursor to "Print table to printer".
- Press Enter.
- d. COPYING (DOWNLOADING):
- To download:
- Place a portable storage device in drive.
- Select the table you want to download; press P.
- If you want to copy a table for one town select: "Complete Table for This Area"
- If you want to copy data for several towns, move the cursor to "Single Item for Several Areas" and press Enter.
- Then select the format you wish the file to be in:
- ASCII (flat/SDF)
- ASCII (delimited)
- The screen then will say: Copy Options C:\
- Erase the C:\
- Type (drive letter):\smith (substitute name you give the file for /smith).
- Press Enter.
- e. GETTING OUT:
- Press End.
- Type Y.
Courtesy of Robert Lopresti, Wilson Library, Western Wash. Univ., Bellingham, WA; 11/92
Diana J. Keith
Government Documents Librarian
Government Documents Department
Calvin T. Ryan Library
University of Nebraska at Kearney
Kearney, NE 68849-2240
Revised June, 2009