LexisNexis has completely revised the interface for LexisNexis Academic. The new interface went live on August 17. It is designed for easier searching and provides more search options.
If you have not used the new interface, you may wish to experiment with it before consulting it for research or to assist your students: EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT!
- The usual search categories are still available: general, news, business, legal. Within each, however, the search screens look considerably different than before.
- The default screen for a general search is the "Easy Search" which works with a natural language query.
- Using the "Power Search" option allows for the use of "connectors" ("and", "or", etc.) and the special search formats of LexisNexis ("w/5", "w/p", etc.)
- If you are accustomed to searching a specific title, use the "Sources" tab above the search box. You will need to make several selections to get down to a specific title.
- Online tutorials provide an overview and explain how to select sources and work with results.
- Some additional information about the new interface is at: http://www.unk.edu/acad/library/gov_doc/index.php?id=26624
- The switch to a new interface affects LN Academiconly. Other LexisNexis databases are not affected (LN Congressional, LN Government Periodicals Index, and LN Statistical).
We are still learning the new interface ourselves but will do our best to help you and your students. If you have questions, please contact your liaison librarian: http://www.unk.edu/acad/library/ref/index.php?id=1109.
The Library will sponsor demonstrations of the new interface on Friday, September 21. Jeff Strandberg, LexisNexis representative, will present sessions lasting 30 - 45 minutes in the Library's main floor computer lab. The first will be at 10:00 a.m. and the other at 2:00 p.m. The same information will be presented in both.
If you are interested in attending, please e-mail Diana Keith at firstname.lastname@example.org or Greg Anderson, email@example.com (Space is limited)
Previous In Brief Online articles are available at: http://www.unk.edu/acad/library/inbrief/index.php?id=3065
Diana Keith// Head of Government Documents
(308)865-8542 // firstname.lastname@example.org