The application for the Spring 2015 semester is October 15, 2014. All application materials must be received by October 15 to be considered for admission.
Students interested in pursuing a program of study in History should:
1. Meet the requirements for admission set forth by the Office of Graduate Studies and Research
2. Have completed an undergraduate program containing at least 18 semester hours of history (or closely related humanities courses).
3. Have a 3.25 undergraduate GPA or submit GRE scores.
4. Submit to the Graduate Chair a letter of intent (500 word minimum) that describes the applicant’s background, qualifications, academic interests, and career goals in obtaining a Master of Arts degree in History.
5. Submit evidence of the writing and analytical skills necessary for graduate level course work (a history research paper is preferred).
6. Submit to the Graduate Chair at least two letters of recommendation from former professors who are familiar with the applicant’s academic work.
7. Fill out the online application.
In the absence of any of the above, admission may be granted on a conditional basis. If an applicant does not have a writing sample or academic letters of recommendation they can apply as a non-degree student and take 1-2 courses in the program. This will allow an applicant to produce a graduate-level paper to submit with their application and request a letter of recommendation from a UNK professor. Up to 12 credit hours can be transferred to a degree granting program from non-degree seeking course work. To apply as a non-degree seeking student go to Online Application.