Degree: Master of Science in Education
Program: Science/Math Education Program
Degree Level: Graduate
Credit Hours: 36 credit hours
Delivery Format: Online
Prerequisites: Bachelor’s Degree with an endorsement in Biology, Math, Chemistry, Physics or Physical Science with a standard Teaching Certificate
The Master's of Science in Education: Science/Math Education is a 36 credit hour program designed for Science and Math teachers in grades 7 through 12 who are interested in becoming better teachers. Students may choose their 12 credit hour major emphasis from either Biology, Chemistry, Math or Physical Science/Physics. All coursework is available online and includes both content and pedagogy.
Basic computer literacy is required to succeed as an online student. To decide if online learning is for you, click on http://www.unk.edu/acad/continuing_ed/ecampus/index.php?id=4788. To determine if you have the minimum hardware and software needed, log on to http://www.unk.edu/acad/continuing_ed/students/index.php?id=6213.
A. Professional Components (9 hours required)
1. Curriculum Course (3 hours)
- BIOL 876 Natural Science Curriculum - 3 hours
2. Research Course (3 hours)
- TE 800 Educational Research - 3 hours
3. Pedagogy Course (3 hours) Take 1 course from:
- TE 804 Curriculum Development in Multicultural Education - 3 hours
- TE 807P Multiple Intelligences: Theories Into Practice - 3 hours
- TE 812P Alternative Assessments of Student Performance: Theory Into Practice - 3 hours
- TE 886P Technology Tools for Teachers - 3 hours
B. Academic Components (27 required)
1. Major Emphasis (12 hours)
- 12 hours in an area of endorsement (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Physical Science)
2. Supporting Courses (9 hours)
- A minimum of 9 hours in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Mathematics, Physics, or Physical Science outside the major emphasis. Courses must be taken in at least two disciplines. These courses will be selected to meet student needs as indicated by previous course work and teaching duties.
3. Electives (6 hours)
- Approved by the advisor prior to enrollment by the student
For more information about the Master of Science in Education Distance Degree click here.
The University of Nebraska at Kearney is a mid-sized comprehensive public university. UNK is one of four institutions in the University of Nebraska system. In a typical year, UNK draws students from 47 states and 50 foreign countries with a total enrollment approaching 7,200 students.
Affordable - UNK has one of the lowest tuition rates in the country. For tuitions rates, click here.
Accredited Programs - UNK is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Quality Education - UNK offers the same quality distance degree programs and courses that are offered on the campus. The majority of the instruction is taught by credentialed full-time faculty with doctoral degrees who are committed to quality teaching. Students and teaching remain the first priority with faculty at UNK.
Quality Student Support Services - Quality student support services are a hallmark of education at UNK. To help students get started with their online courses, a set of online video tutorials are available, as well as the Online Student Orientation. Other services include 24/7 library services, discounted software and hardware, a writing center, 24/7 technology help desk, online bookstore, and more.
For tuitions rates, click here.
Contact: Dr. Christopher Exstrom
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Bruner Hall of Science, Room 405D, UNK, Kearney, NE 68849