The institute will be delivered both face-to-face and online via Blackboard and will extend over a five-week period beginning May and ending June, specific dates TBD. The institute is facilitated by UNL and UNK faculty experienced in teaching distance education courses, who will answer questions, provide feedback, and share from their experiences.
The institute will focus on four skills critical to online teaching: planning, communication, evaluation and management skills.
- Planning and organizing an online course
- Building community and instructor presence
- Developing online content
- Managing an online course
The institute is organized around five learning modules. Each module begins with a brief "lesson" followed by an activity or assignment. In most instances, participants will have approximately 2-3 days to complete the assignment, share work with e-mail partners or team members, and then post the product to the Web for feedback and further revision. You can participate at your leisure, but each module must be completed within a designated time period.
- Read approximately 20-30 pages a week
- Participate in asynchronous discussions and synchronous web conferences
- Complete weekly tasks for "points"
- Participate in technology workshops
- Receive a certificate of completion