Map & Contact Information
Bruner Hall of Science - 4th Floor
University of Nebraska at Kearney
905 W. 25th Street
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-1150Phone: (308) 865-8490
Fax: (308) 865-8399
Email the Chair of the Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNK chemistry graduates are employed as doctors, dentists, pharmacists, high school science teachers, university professors, research and industrial chemists, environmental scientists, and salespeople, as well as in other science and technology fields.
We have 11 chemistry faculty on staff -- this is large enough to have expertise in all five major areas of chemistry but small enough so that through classes, research, and independent projects, chemistry majors are able to work with almost every faculty member.
- Small upper-level courses (5-15 students per class) allow ample time for 1-on-1 instruction and individual advising by faculty members.
- The department is certified by the American Chemical Society and won the 1993 University of Nebraska system-wide department teaching award.
- In the last nine years, 90% of UNK chemistry majors who applied to medical schools were accepted by the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
- Over the last eleven years, UNK chemistry majors have gone on to attend quality graduate schools, including top-25 nationally ranked programs at institutions such as the California Institute of Technology, University of Illinois, Purdue University and Texas A&M University.
- UNK chemistry faculty have won the UNK Creative Teaching Award, UNK Pratt-Heins Awards for Excellence in Teaching and Research, and UNK professor of the year award.
- Since 1995, the department has acquired over $3 million in grants from agencies such as the National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Energy, the Nebraska Research Initiative Program, and the University of Nebraska Foundation.
- Our student chemistry club has been honored by the American Chemical Society four out of the last eight years for excellence in service to the community.