University of Nebraska at Kearney
GENERAL STUDIES PROGRAM ASSESSMENT PLAN 06/06/05
Participants in the Development and Implementation
of the GS Assessment Plan
The development of the GS Assessment Plan is dependent on the input and collaborative work of a number of groups and individuals. The individuals will change as terms or appointments expire. Therefore the titles of groups or individuals will be used.
- General Studies Council: The GS Council consists of faculty representatives from each of the undergraduate colleges, ex-officio members from administrative programs that are involved with supporting the GS Program, and the General Studies Director. The GS Council is charged with the governance of the GS Program. One of the responsibilities including the assessment of the GS Program’s effectiveness. The members of the GS Council have primary responsibility for development and implementation of a GS Assessment Plan.
- Director of General Studies: The Director is responsible for facilitating the work of the GS Council. One of the specific duties of the Director is responsibility for oversight and coordination of the assessment process.
- Academic Departments: Each department offering courses in the GS Program’s distributive model for delivery of the GS Program is responsible for developing an assessment plan for direct measurement of student learning. The departmental assessment plans for the direct measurement of student learning are included in Appendix 3. The plans must meet the requirements identified by the GS Council.
- Student Assessment Committee: The SAC is a recently formed committee (spring 2005) consisting of a group of students (both undergraduate and graduate) who were selected from each of the four colleges. The SAC is sponsored by the Coordinator of Assessment in the Assessment Office. This group seeks to implement assessment projects that represent student perspectives at UNK. Their participation in the GS Assessment Plan represents a collaborative effort to utilize student involvement in the assessment process.
- Director of Assessment: The Director of Assessment for UNK provides resources and assistance for developing assessment procedures which are congruent with the stated aims of the UNK Assessment Committee and Program. The primary task of the Director in collaborating with the GS Council is to assist with the development of a plan and its implementation in a manner that is consistent with meeting accreditation criteria and effective assessment practice.
- Coordinator of Assessment: The Coordinator of Assessment for UNK provides assistance with developing and implementing the assessment process for any program at UNK.