Attachment, October 2, 2003
The General Studies Program must respond to changing circumstances yet maintain sufficient stability that students may complete the program without undue confusion. To accommodate change, the General Studies Council will consider the submission of new courses under the following circumstances.
- The course must be an active UNK offering.
- The department must provide a written explicit description of the course detailing how it meets the established General Studies criteria at both the program and perspective level. The proposal must include the following:
- Evidence that student objectives are consistent with program and perspective criteria
- Description of the teaching strategies employed
- Plan for assessment of student outcomes compatible with the criteria
- Plan for assessment of the course's achievement of the criteria
- The submission must include evidence of support from:
- The Department
- The College Academic Affairs/Educational Policy Committee>
- The Dean's Office
- The Chair of the submitting department must meet with their college representatives on the General Studies Council, and the proposal should come forward only with the support of these representatives.
- Timing of submissions must be compatible with the printing of the UNK Undergraduate Catalog.
- The Council will consider submissions during the Spring semester proceeding the publication year of the Undergraduate Catalog.
- Final action by the General Studies Council will be no later than September following the open submission period.