Attachment, October 2, 2003
In order for classes to be designated at Writing Intensive (WI) in the printed schedule, and thereby count toward the 12-hour requirement of writing intensive instruction, they must meet the following criteria:
- At least 50% of the course grade, exclusive of examinations, must be based upon written assignments.
- As a guideline, students will write a minimum of 5000 words in a 3-credit-hour class.
- Writing instructions will emphasize the writing style of the discipline through the most appropriate form--essays, position papers, term papers, abstracts of articles, book reviews, reports, or journals, for example.
- Tests will consist primarily of essay questions.
- Toward the goal of writing improvement, several written assignments will be revised by the student under the direction of the instructor.
- Writing Intensive proposals should address the issue of class size.