Attachment, October 2, 2003
Proposals should be submitted to the Director of General Studies.
- Proposals should have departmental approval to indicate agreement from a pedagogical perspective, and chair approval to indicate budget and scheduling support. Courses approved for writing intensive (WI) designation are not limited to General Studies courses.
- The issue of class size should be addressed in the proposal.
- Submissions for WI designation should include a cover letter, syllabus, and documentation of faculty qualifications.
- The cover letter should describe how the writing intensive guidelines will be met, including but not limited to:
- the revision and editing process and the manner in which student progress will be documented.
- confirmation that students will become familiar with how professionals in the discipline write.
- explanation of how the writing exercises are integral and not simply "add ons" to the manner in which learning occurs in the course.
- The syllabus should include specific explanation of writing assignments and grading procedures.
- Submissions should include relevant excerpts from the faculty member's vita. Further, faculty should provided evidence from experience or specific training of their capability to meet the purposes of the writing program.
- If accepted for WI designation, the course will undergo review periodically after it has been approved. The review process will be developed later.
Departmental Review Check List
(Department Chair should initial each and is encouraged to attach a letter of support.)
In the opinion of the department,
||Does the course meet the WI criteria?
||Will the department provide budget and scheduling support for the course?
||Will the department provide for an appropriate class size limit for every offering of the course?
||Instructors listed have the appropriate qualifications for this course and will teach the course according to WI guidelines.
||Syllabus attached? (If the syllabus does not provide sufficient information concerning items 1-3, a cover letter should also be attached.)
||Cover letter from instructor attached?
||For new courses only. Other required approvals have been requested?
Department Chair: ___________________________________________ Date: __________
General Studies Director: ______________________________________ Date: __________