Sample Exit Interview Questions
- UNK Biology requires students to take a diversity of courses and to obtain general knowledge about the sub-disciplines of Biology.
What reasons do you see for such a requirement? In what ways, if any, have general graduate courses been valuable to you? How are courses you've taken during your program related to your thesis project?
- UNK Biology requires students to take 18 hours of classes which have no undergraduate equivalent.
Were the required courses in the Department appropriate and beneficial? Which course/ courses were least valuable? Why?
- What are your intellectual interests outside of your thesis project?
Did you pursue any of these while in the program, either through coursework or otherwise? Did you already have these interests when you joined the program or were they newly developed? Are there courses or other intellectual activities that you wish you had pursued? If so, why didn't you?
- What are the best things that the graduate degree has done to prepare you for a profession? Have you learned things in courses that you've used outside of the academic environment?
- Other than acquiring coursework and research experience how has the graduate program changed you or your perspectives on life? Identify university-related experiences that have changed you.
- In what ways have you actively participated in the university learning community? As you think over your graduate career, what learning experiences stand out in your mind? What learning experiences have you had outside of the classroom?
- If you served as a Departmental Teaching Assistant, did doing so improve the quality of your education? What were the most beneficial and worst aspects of serving as a teaching assistant?
- What values do you use to guide your life? Have those values changed since you have been in graduate program? Explain. Tell me a few experiences here that helped you to develop or demonstrate your values/rules.
- During your degree program, was advising sufficient and appropriate?
The following scale will be used for all questions:
||Student has no understanding of issue or unable to make the relationship; inaccurate understanding; no acceptance/internalization of the issue has occurred; deny value of issue
||Student provides a general or basic response; internalization may not have occurred.
||Student demonstrates an in-depth understanding; specific examples or in-depth response provided; student can clearly connect the example to the issue