While pursuing a Theatre degree, students will develop a variety of skills and attitudes conducive to a lifetime of independent learning, with an awareness and appreciation for diverse views and an understanding of the contributions of theatre to society and culture. UNK Theatre students will obtain a broad practical and theoretical knowledge of Theatre as a Fine Art and as one of the humanities, while developing a world view of theatre through specialized training in history, dramatic literature, performance, design, and theatre technology. Through work in the classroom, on the stage, and in professional settings, UNK Theatre students will gain an appreciation of the demands of the professional marketplace, and will be prepared to pursue productive careers in the Theatre Arts.
- Critical Thinking: Students completing a degree program in theatre will have completed projects that synthesize artistic concepts into actual bodies of work, illustrating critical thinking skills.
- Communication Skills: Students completing a degree program in theatre will be able to express information cogently, completely, and concisely in both written and oral form.
- Knowledge of the Discipline: Students completing a degree program in theatre will have a knowledge of the general practices and major components of the theatre. Specifically, this will be demonstrated by an understanding of theatre history, dramatic theory, criticism, dramatic literature, fundamentals of acting, directing, design, and production principles.
- Career Preparation: Students completing a degree program in theatre will acquire a foundation for a career as a graduate student, public school teacher, theatre professional, or a professional in an allied field.
- Performance Experience: Students completing a degree program in theatre will participate in the production of plays as well as classroom performances and practicum assignments. This opportunity for practical experience will require the demonstration and application of knowledge of both the art and the craft of theatre.