Students who complete courses in the Department of Communication at the University of Nebraska at Kearney will receive high quality instruction in a variety of contexts (the classroom, distance education locations, in laboratory contexts, and on internships in a workplace). With the goal of being a productive citizen, students will develop the capacity for clear thinking, speaking and writing skills. Students will also develop social skills such as: respect for others, initiative and diligence in order to become lifelong independent learners, through the specific objectives listed below.
In order to complete the General Studies Program at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, all students will take public speaking training as a requirement of the English Language Perspective in General Studies. Some students' General Studies Program will include "Mass Media in America" meeting the Personal Development requirement in order to provide an understanding of the impact of media in their lives.
All students in the UNK Department of Communication will meet the following goals in the process of receiving a degree. Students will:
- be independent thinkers who are able to develop ideas and clearly express them in oral and written forms;
- be critical and analytical consumers of messages, regardless of the communication channel;
- know the history, theory and current issues in the communication discipline;
- value the freedom of expression;
- demonstrate small group skills, including leadership, task completion and relationship development;
- demonstrate necessary technological skills specific to a degree in communication.