The Master's in Education - Art Education program at the University of Nebraska at Kearney exemplifies the department's commitment to a model of art education that encourages graduate students to become reflective practitioners and leaders in their field. The framework of the graduate art education program is to provide opportunities for graduate students to demonstrate advanced proficiency in the theories and philosophies of art education, content knowledge and in innovative pedagogical practices and research.
- To provide an accessible art education program to meet a wide range of graduate student needs and interests including pedagogical theory, art studio, aesthetics, art criticism and art history.
- To promote an understanding of special needs students and diverse cultural populations and strategies for teaching art in a democratic society.
- To produce art educators who are effective in the classroom.
- To enhance students' abilities and options to become scholars in the field of art education.
- To provide advanced learning opportunities in the field of art education.
Students who successfully complete the MA. Ed. in Art Education program administered by the Department of Art and Art History will demonstrate:
- an understanding of the history, theories and philosophies of art education.
- an advanced knowledge of pedagogical practices in art education.
- skills and knowledge to appropriately utilize technology in the classroom and for research.
- an understanding of methods for teaching diverse populations including special needs students, adult students and culturally diverse populations.
- the knowledge necessary to become leaders in their field, pursue a productive career, and/or further their education through a terminal degree.
- the research and writing skills necessary to produce a scholarly research paper or thesis in art education.
- a continued pursuit of education in art studio, aesthetics, art criticism and art history.
- an understanding of the content area.
- dispositions necessary to teach art in a democratic society.