Minutes of the Meeting of the Assessment Committee
Thursday, April 9th , 2009 – 3:30 p.m.
Founder’s Hall 2347
Present: Jeanne Butler, Jessy Hansen, Mary Kommers, Paul Bishop, Ron Crocker, Jacques Hill.
Absent: Tami Moore, George Lawson, Greg Anderson, Brandon Benitz, Wayne Briner, Scott Unruh, and Karin Covalt.
The meeting was called to order by Director of Assessment, Jeanne Butler, at the above time and place.
- Focused Assessment Feedback
- Michael Larsen presented on his focused assessment for the Physics department- Assessment of the Mathematical Preparedness of Physics Students at UNK. Larsen shared the research study and the results of his research with the committee. Larsen shared what they accomplished during the research and what his department could do with the information collected.
- Rick Miller presented on his focused assessment for the Psychology department- Can Faculty Review/critiques Improve Student Performance in Poster Presentations of Student Research. Miller shared the research study and the results with the committee. Miller shared what his department accomplished during the research and what his department could do with the information collected.
- Assessment Office Staffing 200-2010
Butler shared that she will be full time as Director of Assessment beginning in August 2009. This is necessary since the coordinator of assessment position will not be filled at this time. Mark Nuss will be interim Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence for Fall, 2009 while an internal search is conducted for the CTE director’s position.
- Implementation of Curriculum Mapping Pilot Project
Butler shared that the Office of Assessment will begin implementing curriculum mapping in the Fall 09 with a pilot project. At least 2 departments per college will be involved in the pilot and participating faculty will be trained in a 2-day workshop in either May or August, 2009. Butler indicated that participants will work on building and improving objectives, measures, and rubrics and then begin curriculum mapping for their departments in collaboration with other faculty in their departments. Participating departments will receive $1,000 for the pilot project and faculty will receive $500 for their participation in the training workshop and for their work when they return to their departments.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 4:30 pm.