Center for Teaching Excellence Presents:
Approaches to Improving the First Year Student Experience
Thursday, November 8th
12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Brown Bag Lunch
This web conference will examine essential elements of student support and services during the first year. Participants will explore best practices for working with first year students and gain practical insights about the components that make up the first year experience. Participants will learn to identify services and programs on their own campus and generate a list of strategies for improving the first year experience of their students.
- Overview of the first year experience: A national perspective
- Identifying and improving elements of the first year experience
- Formal and informal structures supporting the implementation and sustaining the first year experience
- Assessment of the first year experience
- Anticipating the future of the first year experience
Meet the presenter:
Joni Petschauer, Director, Western North Carolina Network for Access and Success
Joni serves as the director of The Northwest North Carolina Network for Access and Success. The network supports educational partnerships among area universities and area high schools seeking to increase the college readiness and enrollment into post-secondary education institutions. Joni has also consulted with campuses in the United States and Asia about improving access to higher education and developing and improving comprehensive first year programs.