Dear BIOL 420 Students:
The Biology Department is continually evaluating your curriculum and instruction. As seniors, you should have the maturity and experience to assess the relative merits of your varied academic activities. Your input is important to us and is taken quite seriously. We would appreciate it very much if you would take the time to complete the following evaluation form. You do not need to sign the report. After completing the form, return it to the Biology Department Secretary and ask her to put it into the Department Chairman’s mailbox. Thank you and best wishes.
Dr. John F. Hertner
Chairman, Biology Department
University of Nebraska – Kearney
We’re using the standard questionnaire form with which you are familiar. Additional survey questions are found below. Use the response spaces corresponding to he question numbers. Please use #2 pencil.
SECTION “A” Evaluation of Instruction
Question #s 1–10 assess your BIOL 420 Mentor. Please identify him/her at the
bottom of the page.
- The Faculty member stimulates thinking
- The Faculty member is enthusiastic about the subject material
- The Faculty member is responsive to student questions
- The Faculty member is well prepared for the class
- The Faculty member explains and clarifies the subject material
- The Faculty member grades fairly
- The Faculty member assigns materials that are effective aids to learning
- The Faculty member encourages students to seek assistance as needed and is available for assistance and consultation.
- The Faculty member is knowledgeable about the subject matter
- Overall how do you rate the Teaching in this course?
A = Superior
B = Above Average
C = Average
D = Below Average
E = Unsatisfactory
SECTION “B” Demographic Information
Questions #s 11-13
- What is your grade-point average at UNK?
(A) 4.0 – 3.01 (B) 3.0 – 2.51 (C) 2.5 – 2.0 (D) below 2.0 (E) New Student
- What grade do you expect in this course?
(A) A (B) B (C) C or Credit (D) D (E) F/or/No Credit
- Which of the fo0llowing best explains why you took this course?
(A) It is required for General Studies
(B) It is required for my major
(C) It is not required but recommended for my program
(D) Not required but meets other University requirements
(E) Chosen as elective because of my strong interes
SECTION “C” (Additional Questions) Evaluating the BIOL 420 experience
The activity stimulated thinking
The activity fostered my enthusiasm for my major
I was prepared for the BIOL 420 challenge
Tools, SciCom and Stat courses were of value in completion of the project.
My work was evaluated by a process consistent with peer review in the sciences.
My confidence in public speaking, presentation and defense of a position was enhanced by my BIOL 420 experience.
The process fostered my inquiry skills
SECTION “D” (Additional Questions) Evaluating the Biology Major
I FEEL CONFIDENT IN BEING ABLE TO:
- Understand and explain the structures, functions and classification of plants.
- Understand and explain the structures, functions and classification of animals.
- Understand and explain the structures of the human body and their functions.
- Understand and explain the investigative nature of Biology
- Use scientific methods for conducting investigations of scientific based problems.
- Understand and explain the basis of genetic inheritance of traits
- Understand and explain the interrelationships among and between organisms
- Understand and explain the basic prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell structure as the basis of life
- Understand and explain evolutionary theory and apply it to modern biological problems
- Understand and explain the nature of major biology theories (e.g., cell, germ, etc.).
PLEASE: use the back of the pink questionnaire page to make recommendations re. how we as UNK Faculty can better meet our responsibility to the UNK Biology Major. Identify programs of strength as well as areas needing bolstering. Thank you for your input.