School Counseling mission
Students who successfully complete programs in the Department of Counseling and School Psychology will be responsive, reflective, and collaborative decision makers and who have the requisite knowledge, skills, and technological expertise to practice ethically and successfully. They will embrace the principles of democracy, diversity and equity.
Graduates will become competent Professional Community Counselors.
The community counselor:
- has a foundation in counseling knowledge and skills that prepares the counselor to adapt to changing needs of the individual, group and/or family.
- has personal traits and characteristics that are consistent with the role and function of a counselor.
- has knowledge and skills regarding ethical, legal and regulatory standards of the profession.
- has knowledge and skills in the counseling and consultation process.
- has knowledge and skills in case conceptualization and management.
- has knowledge and skills in client/program assessment and evaluation.
- has knowledge and competency in oral and written communication.
- has knowledge regarding research in counseling outcome research and its implications for professional practice.