Student Peer Leader __________________Cathy Sweet_________________________
As Student Peer Leaders in the First Year program, we would like an evaluation of your experience with the Fall 2005 FY program. Please respond briefly to the following topics (2-3 sentences).
- List ways that you engaged with the First Year students in extracurricular activities.
Talking with the students I felt was the best way to engage with the students. Let them know that you are there and are willing to help them.
- What were your responsibilities for academic objectives in your First Year course?
Teaching some of the lessons, and making all of their quizzes, grading them and posting things on blackboard.
- How did the training sessions help prepare you for your position as a Student Peer Leader?
Then didn’t really. You can’t train someone to be themselves in a social situation. Some people are born leaders and others are born followers.
- In what ways were the monthly SPL meetings helpful or not?
The meetings were not that helpful. It was just a time to talk about what you have been doing. What the peer leaders actually do is up to them and their teacher, not everyone else.
- Describe your personal and professional development as the result of your responsibilities as a SPL.
I learned a lot from my cooperating teacher about making quizzes, being organized, but mostly being in front of a class to lecture and teach them new information.