Dear BIOL 420 Students:
The Biology Department is continually evaluating your curriculum and instruction. As seniors, you should have the maturity and experience to assess the relative merits of your varied academic activities. Your input is important to us and is taken quite seriously. We would appreciate it very much if you would take the time to complete the following evaluation form. You do not need to sign the report. After completing the form, return it to the Biology Department Secretary and ask her to put it into the Department Chairman’s mailbox. Thank you and best wishes.
Dr. John F. Hertner
Chairman, Biology Department
University of Nebraska – Kearney
We’re using the standard questionnaire form with which you are familiar. Additional survey questions are found below. Use the response spaces corresponding to he question numbers. Please use #2 pencil.
SECTION “A” Evaluation of Instruction
Question #s 1–10 assess your BIOL 420 Mentor. Please identify him/her at the
bottom of the page.
SECTION “B” Demographic Information
Questions #s 11-13
SECTION “C” (Additional Questions) Evaluating the BIOL 420 experience
- The activity stimulated thinking
- The activity fostered my enthusiasm for my major
- I was prepared for the BIOL 420 challenge
- Tools, SciCom and Stat courses were of value in completion of the project.
- My work was evaluated by a process consistent with peer review in the sciences.
- My confidence in public speaking, presentation and defense of a position was enhanced by my BIOL 420 experience.
- The process fostered my inquiry skills
SECTION “D” (Additional Questions) Evaluating the Biology Major
I FEEL CONFIDENT IN BEING ABLE TO:
- Understand and explain the structures, functions and classification of plants.
- Understand and explain the structures, functions and classification of animals.
- Understand and explain the structures of the human body and their functions.
- Understand and explain the investigative nature of Biology
- Use scientific methods for conducting investigations of scientific based problems.
- Understand and explain the basis of genetic inheritance of traits
- Understand and explain the interrelationships among and between organisms
- Understand and explain the basic prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell structure as the basis of life
- Understand and explain evolutionary theory and apply it to modern biological problems
- Understand and explain the nature of major biology theories (e.g., cell, germ, etc.).
PLEASE: use the back of the pink questionnaire page to make recommendations re. how we as UNK Faculty can better meet our responsibility to the UNK Biology Major. Identify programs of strength as well as areas needing bolstering. Thank you for your input.