Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 – 9:00 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Charlie Bicak, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bob Rycek, Tim Burkink, Gail Zeller
GUESTS: Debbie Schroeder, Michelle Hamaker, Kathy Livingston
- Approval of Minutes for May 5, 2009: Charlie asked if there were additions or corrections to the minutes. There being none, Bob motioned and Bill seconded approval of the minutes as presented. All present voted in favor of approval.
- Computer Purchases: Debbie distributed and discussed the handout titled University of Nebraska at Kearney Policy for Hardware and Software Purchases including Hardware Components and Peripherals and Procedure for Acquisition of Hardware and Software including Hardware Components and Peripherals. The policy was set in 2001 so they are in the process of revising it to keep up with current changes. She explained the policy is in place to make sure the University knows exactly what technology resources are owned or leased by UNK and that we acquire the best possible value for our money.
- EOT Drill: Michelle explained that the Emergency Operations Team will be hosting an emergency drill on campus which will be funded by a grant from Homeland Security. At this time they are looking for a date and would like input from the Deans and the Cabinet.
- Non-tenure track special appointments: Kathy discussed the non-tenure track special appointment positions. This is a special one year, non-tenure track appointment. Since there have been issues in the past there is a need for this to be designated in the July 1 salary letters. Discussion was held and it was decided to add the following statement to the July 1 salary letters for anyone in the non-tenure track special appointment positions: “This is a one-year special appointment.” The Deans requested that Kathy send them a draft letter so they could share the information with their chairs in case any questions arise.
- Faculty Workload: Kathy explained she and Charlie had been working with Kristin Yates to get the appropriate information regarding faculty workload to Central Administration. Discussion was held on the appropriate percentages for Teaching, Research, Service and Administration. Charlie and Kathy will work to get this taken care of.
- Programs of Excellence Proposals: Charlie asked that the Deans please send any PoE proposals to him in rank order.
- Budget Updates: Charlie stated there wasn’t much new to report on budget. He did report the projected cuts were not looking as bad as what was previously mentioned. He also discussed that the Board of Regents will be making a decision soon regarding a possible increase to tuition.
- General Studies: Charlie explained that the General Studies proposal did not pass therefore Daren will move ahead with the process.
- Enrollment Update: Charlie shared that we are right where we were last year regarding enrollment according to Dusty. Summer advising and enrollment at this time is 686 compared to 698 at this time last year.
- Events & Activities: Charlie asked the Deans to get their vacation dates to Tami so he could work on a potential date for a Deans Retreat. Some of the topics to be discussed would be Budget, General Studies, Strategic Plan – Phases 2 & 3, Faculty Workload and Distance Education.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room