Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, May 5, 2009 – 9:00 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Charlie Bicak, William Jurma, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bob Rycek, Tim Burkink, Gail Zeller
ABSENT: Kenya Taylor
GUESTS: Kim Schipporeit, Curt Carlson
- Approval of Minutes for April 21, 2009: Charlie asked if there were additions or corrections to the minutes. There being none, Bill motioned and Bob seconded approval of the minutes as presented. All present voted in favor of approval.
- Student Information System Update: Kim gave a brief update and answered questions regarding the new Student Information System.
- UNK Marketing Plan: Curt discussed the handout titled Key Admissions Events 2009-2010, which explains several versions of marketing plans for UNK.
- Budget: Charlie stated there wasn’t much new to report on budget. He did report that the appropriations committee reneged on the 2% increase. He also discussed that the Board of Regents will be making a decision soon regarding possible increase to tuition.
- General Studies: Charlie shared that the faculty are in the process of voting on the new General Studies proposal. He also discussed there would be a lot of work to do regardless if the proposal passes or not.
- Deans Evaluations: Charlie reported he is in the process of completing the Deans Evaluations and also mentioned he received a dispensation from Human Resources. He will have them out as soon as he can.
- Non-Tenure track special appointments: Charlie briefly discussed the non-tenure track special appointment. Discussion was held.
- Events & Activities: Charlie discussed the events and activities taking place around campus: the Honors Breakfast, Commencement, and COE Honors Reception. Ed discussed the UNK Teaching Academy awardees and that each received a $1000 Professional Development grant. Bill shared things going on in their college: the FAH Honors Ceremony and the Ed and Betty Cook reception. Bob shared the NSS Honors program would be held on Thursday.
Charlie also thanked all the Deans for their patience as he focuses on his new responsibilities.
- Other: Janet shared that the Library had been working on ways to get publications from faculty available. Please contact Greg Anderson as he is working on this project.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room