Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 – 10:00 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Charlie Bicak, William Jurma, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bob Rycek, Tim Burkink, Gail Zeller
ABSENT: Kenya Taylor
- Approval of Minutes for April 7, 2009: Charlie asked if there were additions or corrections to the minutes. There being none, Bob motioned and Bill seconded approval of the minutes as presented. All present voted in favor of approval.
- Criteria for Workload Determination/Reassigned Time (revisited): Charlie discussed the draft handout titled “Guidelines for Reassigned Time”. Discussion was held on several changes to: item #4 under the sub-heading “Reassigned Time Policy Statement”, this needs to be more flexible; wording under the sub-heading “Reassigned Time Expectations” (2nd and 4th paragraphs), the deadline date for submission of proposals and some additional requests to the application form. Revisions will be made and the form will be brought back to the Deans at a later date.
- NU Foundation Proposals: Charlie reported he had received word we were going to be receiving two awards. One was the Physics Proposal for $128,725 and the other was the Industrial Distribution Proposal for $50,000.
- Budget: Charlie stated there wasn’t much new to report on budget. He did report that statewide the appropriations committee increased the budget to 2%, however it will still have to go forward for debate. He also discussed the stimulus portion of the budget. He reported he will be meeting with several of the Deans and their chairs regarding budget this week.
- CAAP Assessment: Charlie shared the power point he will be presenting to the Board of Regents on Friday, April 24, 2009.
- Academic Program review (APR) Process: Discussion was held on the Academic Program review process. It was mentioned it would be nice if it could be a more streamlined process, maybe come up with a process to help customize the overall process so it could be more cost effective and efficient for deans, department chairs and faculty. We will discuss again at a later date.
- Events & Activities: Tim shared that Former KN Energy CEO/President Larry Hall will present the annual Ron Landstrom Executive in Residence speech at the University of Nebraska at Kearney on Wednesday, April 22. The presentation, titled “Moving Forward: Not Business as Usual,” will take place in the Ockinga Seminar Center auditorium from 12:20-1:10 p.m. In addition to giving the presentation, Hall will meet with UNK College of Business and Technology classes and the Student Advisory Board on Thursday, April 23. Also, an unveiling of a new donor wall outside of the West Center will begin at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, followed by a reception at the Frank House.
Ed shared updates regarding the Enrollment Management Council and also reported that Dan Garcia would be here. He discussed a tuition variance plan for Colorado students as well.
Charlie also discussed some past events and also some future events happening this week: OMA Awards, ROTC Reception, Sakura Festival, Interior Design Show at Harmon Park, and the musical—Oklahoma.
- Other: Charlie discussed ideas for the Grand Opening of the Bruner Hall of Science for the latter part of September.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room