Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, April 7, 2009 – 10:00 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Charlie Bicak, William Jurma, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bob Rycek, Tim Burkink, Kenya Taylor, Gail Zeller
GUESTS: Rick Miller, Cheryl Bressington
- Approval of Minutes for March 24, 2009: Charlie asked if there were additions or corrections to the minutes. There being none, Bill motioned and Kenya seconded approval of the minutes as presented. All present voted in favor of approval.
- Rick Miller RE New Student Orientation: Rick presented a power point showing statistics and information from last year’s New Student Orientation. Discussion was held on the things which worked, which didn’t and what will be changed for this year.
- Cheryl Bressington:
- Reduction in force evaluation process – Cheryl briefly discussed the process for reduction in force. Discussion was held and it was asked this topic be tabled until the next Deans’ Council Meeting.
- Training sessions on Diversity & Initiative 424 – Cheryl briefly discussed the handouts regarding sessions on Diversity and Initiative 424. Charlie stated he would do some more research and get back to the Deans.
- Dual Career for current employees whose spouses have been laid off – Cheryl reported due to the local economy the UNK Dual Career Program will be expanding services if your spouse or accompanying partner within the last 6 months has lost employment.
- Military leave for students (set up policy) – Cheryl want to set up a policy for students who are asked to participate in short term deployments. She would like have this policy accessible via the UNK website.
- NU Foundation: Campaign Themes: Charlie discussed the handout he prepared with suggested foundation campaign themes. Discussion was held, Charlie said he will keep the Deans posted with any updates or changes.
- PoE Application Guidelines: Charlie discussed the Programs of Excellence Proposal Outline and reminded the Deans the proposals will be due around the end of April or first part of May.
- Faculty Workload: Another Permutation: Charlie reported he and Kathy Livingston had met with Dr. Pratt and Kristin Yates, April 1, 2009, regarding faculty workload and the handout titled 2007 Delaware Study Masters (Small) & Masters (Medium) Institutes. The Deans requested electronic copies of the handout.
- Undergraduate Research Fellowships: Kenya discussed the process for accepting undergraduate research Fellowships. She reported she would be sending out an email shortly with the details as the deadline is April 28th and the notification of awards will be done May 5th.
- Retention Plan Development Retreat with Noel Levitz, April 9-10: Gail discussed and gave updates on the Retention plan development retreat with Noel Levitz. She also discussed IPEDS comparisons.
- Budget: Charlie reported he met with Faculty Senate to discuss budget questions. He also reported the Chancellor would be sending out an email shortly sharing updates regarding budget planning. Charlie let the Deans know he would be willing to meet with each college’s chairs regarding budget. Charlie also discussed replacement positions and ask the Deans to visit with him about these individually so we can determine if they are essential.
- Events & Activities: Charlie stated all the things which go on on this campus are simply stunning and he applauds everyone involved.
- Other: Tim asked we include the handout Guidelines for Reassigned Time on the next agenda.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room