Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 – 10:00 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Charlie Bicak, William Jurma, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bob Rycek, Tim Burkink, Kenya Taylor, Gail Zeller
- Approval of Minutes for March 10, 2009: Charlie asked if there were additions or corrections to the minutes. There being none, Bill motioned and Ed seconded approval of the minutes as presented. All present voted in favor of approval.
- Budget Process Update: Charlie distributed and discussed the handout titled University of Nebraska State-Aided Budget Allocation Model Guidelines which he received from Vice Chancellor Johnson. He discussed the purposes, principles and strategies shared by the cabinet and also reported he would be meeting with the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor Johnson near the end of this week regarding budget scenarios. We will need to have our budget plan in place by early to mid June.
- PoE Reports and New Proposals: Charlie discussed the 2007 Programs of Excellence Report submitted to Central in March 2007 which was sent to the Deans by email. He also reported there would be PoE money available this year so go ahead and start working on proposals to be submitted and please have them to our office by April 24, 2009. There were questions regarding the handout titled Programs of Excellence Report Outline. Discussion was held and Charlie stated he would restructure the above named handout. Charlie also reported since 2003 we had received 4.5 million in PoE money.
- College Faculty Data: Charlie stated he had requested the information on tenure track/adjunct faculty distribution and faculty on 4/4 and 3/3 workloads from the Deans to assist with budget planning. Discussion was held on the Delaware Study information recently emailed to the Deans for their respective college. Ed asked if we could have the same data pulled from our peers for all departments as well as any historical data. Charlie said he would check with Kathy about getting the requested information. Bill also stated when you have several faculty members who are in administrative positions, for example the Directors of Honors, General Studies, etc., this will increase the number of adjuncts hired.
- Criteria for Workload Determination/Reassigned Time: Charlie explained and discussed the handout titled Guidelines for Reassigned Time. Discussion was held and Charlie stated he would make changes to the draft handout to make it more versatile to each college. He asked the Deans to review for other changes and we will plan to review and discuss again.
- College Advisory Council: Charlie explained he was trying to get a sense of who advises each college and will discuss these councils in more detail when he meets individually with each dean.
- Other: Charlie shared a draft letter regarding stem research just as an information item to the group.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room