Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 – 10:00 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Charlie Bicak, William Jurma, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bob Rycek, Tim Burkink
ABSENT: Kenya Taylor, Gail Zeller
GUESTS: Daren Snider
- Daren Snider RE General Studies updates: Daren Snider discussed the General Studies renewal process and timeline for implementation of the new plan after NCA determined we needed to make changes to our current plan. He shared that NCA found that UNK doesn’t have a “clear, shared definition and understanding of the learning outcomes” for General Studies. They also found that our current program is not a coherent program of study, but rather a collection of courses. It is impossible to retrofit NCA required assessment practices onto an existing, cafeteria style program. The renewed program has to be more coherent and intentional; there needs to be a progression in difficulty of learning levels from courses at the beginning of the program (composition, math, etc.) to the Capstone course at the end. Daren also shared the following timeline for implementing the new plan. Spring 2009: faculty discussions of learning outcomes and the renewed curriculum; 2009-2010 Academic Year: departments submit proposed courses for the new General Studies program; Fall 2010: implementation of new General Studies program; April 30, 2011: status and compliance report due to NCA.
Daren distributed and discussed the form titled UNK General Education – Working Draft #3. He discussed presently the General Studies Council is working on objectives for the section titled II Portal – 3 hours. He also reported to get approval for the renewal plan 2/3 affirmative vote is needed by those who vote in three of four colleges.
Discussion was held and it was the consensus there is more education needed regarding the renewal process and it was suggested that Daren attend each individual college’s meetings to explain the process and timeline of the renewal plan implementation.
- Budget -- Process & Governing Principles:
- Cost reduction and/or revenue enhancement for academic and student affairs – Charlie discussed and distributed the handout titled Cost reduction and/or revenue enhancement for academic and student at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, Deans’ Proposal. Discussion was held regarding the process and how to determine what funds are essential for each area’s programs. The Deans felt this process/proposal wasn’t really what they had in mind for handling cost reduction and/or revenue enhancement. Discussion was held on the definition of vertical cuts and what you can do in regards cuts. The Deans also had questions regarding keeping carry forward, they were asking at what level is the carry forward kept – Vice Chancellor, Deans, Department, etc.? Charlie stated he would check on this and get back to them.
- Guidelines for determining academic program viability -- Discussion was held on the handout titled Guidelines for Determining Academic Program Viability 2008. It was felt the weighting factor for these guidelines needs to be re-addressed and there still is criterion which needs to be settled.
- Process for Communication – Charlie asked the Deans for the following information: tenure-track to adjunct ratio and what percent of faculty are on 3-3 or 4-4 loads. Charlie also asked if the Deans had seen the University wide model explaining how budget is developed. He said he would get it from Barbara and send it to them.
- Foundation Proposals: Charlie discussed the Foundation proposals submitted by the Deans and reported they had selected two to go forward. The selected proposals will be forwarded to Central by Friday, March 13, 2009.
- Programs of Excellence – Reports: Charlie distributed and discussed the handout titled Programs of Excellence Report Outline. Charlie asked the Deans to follow the outline when submitting their reports and asked they have their reports to him by Tuesday, March 24, 2009. Bill asked if their respective college was continuing on the same as last year, would it be alright if he just submitted an email stating that? Tim asked for the information which was submitted for last year’s report.
- Events and Activities: Charlie mentioned some of the things happening on campus and through email announcements: the Dean’s List in B&T, PUI Research Day, the symphony, the Monday Morning Bulletin(from CNSS) and the literary program. He applauds everyone for all they do.
- Other: Bill discussed a call he had received from John Lakey pertaining to a parent who was concerned about his daughter participating in a 5 week trip to Mexico this summer. The parent was questioning our policy for refunds if things were not safe when it came time for his daughter to leave for the trip. Discussion was held and Charlie stated he would visit with John Lakey.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room.