Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, July 30, 2008 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Bruce Forster, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bob Rycek, Gail Zeller
- Subject Areas for Faculty Workload Analysis: Finnie distributed an email he received from Kristin Yates regarding Subject Areas for Faculty Workload Analysis.
- College Technology Coordinators: Finnie discussed several security breaches have allowed hackers from outside the University to gain access to our confidential information. The FBI is now involved and is still doing some checking and will get back with us when they know more. The people in Information Technology recommend you use the Spiderware software if you think you have any numbers on your hard drive which could be compromised. Finnie said the Chancellor is very concerned, as is he and wants everything possible to be done to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Also, please make sure if you have to store social security numbers that you have filed an exception with the Chancellor. Finnie also explained that encryption software will protect sensitive files but won’t protect your data from hackers. Finnie requested Tami to set up a meeting with the Deans, Debbie Schroeder and the College Technology Coordinators from each college.
- Discussion of teaching buyout policy: Kenya distributed and discussed the UNK Teaching Buyout Pricing Policy she had updated with the recommended changes from the last meeting. Discussion was held and a motion was made by Ed and seconded by Bill to approve the policy as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Finnie reminded everyone of New Faculty and Professional Staff Orientation on Thursday, August 21
- Finnie reminded everyone the Academic Affairs Department Pandemic Plans are due to the Deans for non-academic departments by August 1 and then to SVCAA soon afterwards
- Finnie reported on SIS updates
- Gail discussed Noel-Levitz
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room