Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, June 17, 2008 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Frank Harrold, Peter Longo
ABSENT: Bruce Forster
GUESTS: Kim Schipporeit, Bob Rycek, Gail Zeller
- Kim Schipporeit RE non-completers, closed classes, equivalency guide and summer enrollment: Kim distributed and discussed handouts titled, 2007-08 Closed Courses and Summer Enrollment. She also reported on the equivalency guide, which used to be done by Central Administration and the progress to bring it up to date and made active. There will be an automated system for course approval. Kim then discussed non-completers which are students who apply for graduation but never graduate for one reason or another. The registrar’s office will work with these students to find out what the issues are and help them work through the problems so they can graduate.
- General Studies: Concern about the possibility of a conflict of interest for the General Studies Director also being the Faculty Senate President and how the responsibilities of two very important jobs which both need to be carried out were discussed. Discussion was held and Finnie stated he would meet with Dr. Snider to make sure he understands there could be a possible conflict of interest with the two positions and ask him to keep this possibility in mind as he conducts the two jobs.
- Discussion of teaching buyout policy: Kenya distributed and discussed the UNK Teaching Buyout Pricing Policy she recently developed. Discussion was held and some suggested changes were made. The Deans will look at the policy again at the next Deans’ Council Meeting.
- Finnie reported on an email from Debbie Schroeder regarding a data security problem.
- Finnie discussed and distributed the handout titled Nebraska Dual Enrollment Standards Implementation at UNK.
- Finnie discussed the PoE proposals submitted to Central.
- Finnie asked how the Deans would like the Academic Affairs Flu Plan distributed. Discussion was held and it was suggested we send the template to the Deans for them to distribute to their departments/divisions.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Thursday, July 15, 2008 at 9 a.m., Warner Conference Room