Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, February 12, 2008 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Frank Harrold, Bruce Forster, Peter LongoGUESTS: Kathy Livingston
- Kathy Livingston regarding:
- Adjunct Policy and Contract Policy for Adjuncts – Kathy discussed that earlier this semester a department thought they needed to hire an adjunct and had verbally asked them to do so. However at the last minute they found a current faculty member to teach the class. When the department informed the adjunct they no longer needed their services, the adjunct stated we needed to honor the verbal contract. Kathy shared a draft/sample letter/contract which Legal Counsel encourages us to use when offering an adjunct a position. Discussion was held and it was suggested to add some wording suggesting “this appointment is contingent upon the Departmental needs”.
- Overloads for Managerial Professionals – Kathy explained the need for the Managerial/Professional’s supervisor to be aware they are teaching a class during their regular working hours. Discussion was held and as long as the supervisor is aware of their staff’s schedule we don’t have a problem with it.
- Appointment effective dates for chair stipends for Academic year and Summer – Kathy asked for date clarification on stipends for Department Chairs. The academic year chair stipends run the week before fall classes start through the week preceding spring commencement. Summer chair stipends start the Monday after the academic year stipends end and then end the Friday before the week prior to fall semester classes beginning.
- Official Faculty Files – Discussion was held on the location of the Official Faculty Files. The Collective Bargaining Agreement states: Faculty Academic Records shall be kept in the offices of the Unit Member’s Department, the Dean of the College, and the Office of the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Student Life (original certified copies of transcripts and other such documents as required for North Central Association accreditation shall be kept in the Office of the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs and Student Life). A personnel file is also maintained in Human Resources. The Official Record is the Cumulative Faculty Academic Record maintained for each Unit Member in the Office of the Dean of the College of his/her major assignment. Documents of an evaluative nature addressing the Unit Member’s performance, employment status, or academic assignment must be copied to the Faculty Member prior to being placed in a Faculty Academic Record. Discussion was held on how long to keep faculty files after the faculty member has left the University. E-campus files will be kept with the discipline of each college. Discussion was held on the need for transcripts. Finnie stressed the importance of having transcripts on file, and asked the Deans to please work with your faculty to make sure this is accomplished in the needed time frame.
- Issue of the security of smart classroom equipment and other easily accessible computer equipment on campus: Frank stated there had been a couple of thefts of projectors from the Fine Arts Recital Hall and Copeland Hall, and also a computer from the Psychology Department. Discussion was held on how to secure these items. Problems arise when people need into these rooms in the evenings therefore they can’t be locked by Public Safety until 10 or 11:00 p.m.
- Approval of Minutes: The minutes from the January 15, January 29 and February 4, 2008, Deans’ Council Meetings were approved unanimously.
- Announcements: Finnie recommended encryption software for anyone still required to use social security numbers. A brief discussion was held on budget reductions for the future and lack of certainty about this at present.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.