Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, December 4, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Frank Harrold, Bruce Forster
ABSENT: Peter Longo
GUESTS: Jeanne Butler, Cheryl Bressington, Debbie Schroeder
- Jeanne Butler RE placing access links on Departmental Websites: Jeanne discussed that several departments had asked to have an assessment link from their home page to the assessment website. She also reported this would be excellent to have in place before the NCA Visit scheduled for April 28-29, 2008. Jeanne said she will send the Deans the links necessary to get the departments up and running with the assessment website. She also reminded them the self studies need to be in by January.
- Cheryl Bressington RE Inappropriate actions during searches: Cheryl discussed issues which had been brought to her attention regarding inappropriate actions during searches. Discussion was held and it was the consensus of the Deans to put a search committee certification process in place. It was also suggested there should be a warning initially that any inappropriate actions could cause the search to be failed by the Dean or appropriate supervisor. A motion was made by Bill and seconded by Frank to empower Cheryl Bressington, Director of Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ADA, to be more active in dealing with problems with searches and begin a certification process for faculty who wish to be eligible for search committee membership and in the case of egregious behavior on the part of a committee member during the search that member may be decertified. The motion carried unanimously.
- Debbie Schroeder RE Classroom response systems: Debbie explained she had gone to a meeting where the topic was classroom response systems here on campus. At the meeting they discussed we already have several different clickers on campus. The Deans agreed we need to standardize the classroom response systems across the campus. Debbie reported there were several options to choose from.
- Pandemic Flu update RE TERREX 2007 Exercise: Frank discussed the TERREX 2007 Exercise which was held November 14-16, 2007. He explained the Emergency Operations Team assembled to plan accordingly for a rapidly spreading Avian Flu virus which had entered the United States. During this mock exercise they very quickly made decisions to shut down campuses, how and when to send students home, how to contact students abroad and other related matters.
- Academic Affairs Pandemic Flu Plan: Frank stated the Academic Affairs Pandemic Flu Plan has been in limbo while waiting on private networking systems to be put into place so we can work from home if the need arises. Finnie suggested we go ahead and draft a plan for each option and each area stating what is to take place if the campus closes. He would like to be able to send out the plan at the beginning of the next semester since there is a chance this virus could be mutating as we speak.
- Announcements: Finnie discussed the fact we are doing a search for a 1st Year Experience Director, concurrently he and Peter had been discussing expanding the 1st Year Experience Program and they had come to the conclusion to put together a task force and have them review the program. Kristi Bryant would continue as the interim director. He had asked Rick Miller for recommendations from Faculty Senate.
Finnie announced in February a Delegation of Administrators from Weihai, (a total of 6) would be coming to stay and ask if anyone would be interested in hosting some of them for 2 weeks.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.