Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, October 9, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Peter Longo, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Frank Harrold, Bob Rycek
ABSENT: Bruce Forster
GUESTS: Carolyn Fuller, Matt Hammons, Curt Carlson, John Falconer
- Carolyn Fuller, NU Lobbyist RE UNK and the federal earmark grant process: John Falconer introduced NU Lobbyist, Carolyn Fuller and expressed his appreciation for her support. Carolyn discussed and explained the types of grants and the proper procedures to follow to insure the proposals get the consideration they deserve. Matt Hammons, Federal Relations Coordinator from Central Administration, was also available to answer any questions.
- Proposed revision to the Emeritus Faculty Status: Finnie discussed the revised Emeritus Policy presented at the October 5, 2007, CAO Meeting. Discussion was held on some of the changes and how those changes would affect our current campus policy. It was the consensus of the Council to ask Central to re-examine the current revisions and possibly add some procedures or standards to the policy, along with grandfathering in currently tenured instructors who do not yet have Emeritus status. Finnie also asked Peter to work with John Wiltse, General Counsel from Central Administration, to get something in writing that states our current tenured instructors will be grandfathered in.
- Announcements: Frank announced that he and the Bruner Hall of Science Chairs have been working with the architects regarding a possible concept to shave 6 months off the project length and also save a lot of money.
- Reports from Finnie: Finnie discussed Blackberry fees and charges when using the unit internationally as a cell phone. He also discussed possible cheaper alternatives.
Finnie also reported he would be attending the AASCU Delegation to China, October 16-
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank reported where they are with the Terex exercise to this point and added that he would send out more information as he receives it.
- Approval of Minutes: The minutes were not ready to be approved.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of
the Deans will be on Tuesday, November 6, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.