Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Peter Longo, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Frank Harrold, Bruce Forster
GUESTS: Kathy Livingston
- Faculty Development Fellowship policy and application updates: Discussion was held on the updates made to the Faculty Development Fellowship policy and the question regarding the timeline. Clarification was made regarding the timeline and the changes stand as previously approved.
- Policies RE course syllabi: Frank asked if Department chairs should be collecting course syllabi from each faculty member. Currently there is no written policy—should we put some kind of policy in effect? Discussion was held on the email regarding the ADA statement recently sent out from Cheryl Bressington. Discussion was held on what should possibly be included in the policy. Kathy was instructed to pursue the issue of faculty not including the ADA statement in their course syllabi.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank reported UNK would be participating in a TERREX state wide exercise in November. He explained that past exercises have only involved the Emergency Operation Team and the operations section of the university’s incident command; however this year the university is expanding its involvement in this exercise to include all sections. The players began briefing for November’s exercise yesterday.
- John Anderson RE distributing American Democracy Project campus audit questionnaires: Since we were running ahead of schedule Finnie explained that John Anderson was requesting the Deans assistance with collecting surveys or questionnaires regarding the American Democracy Project. The Deans agreed they would help with this project.
- Reports from Finnie: Finnie reported the SIS Steering Committee was preparing to interview the consulting firms Garner and Collegiate to decide of the two which they will use to determine what student information system would be the best for the University.
Finnie also addressed concerns regarding the Programs of Excellence Funds proposals which were not funded. He stated he is not sure why certain proposals were not funded, however he would like to insert a step in the process to have a peer review committee go over the proposals before they go on to Central.
- Approval of Minutes: The minutes were not ready to be approved.
- Other Items: Frank announced they are having a press conference at Mary Morris Lecture Hall, Friday, September 28, 2007. 2:00 p.m., to introduce the Bruner Hall of Science renovation.
Frank also asked the Deans to submit names to him of the best students for the National
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of
the Deans will be on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.