Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, September 11, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Peter Longo, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Ed Scantling, Bruce Forster, Bob Rycek
ABSENT: Frank Harrold
GUESTS: Curt Carlson
- Curt Carlson RE the Process for finding and inviting Commencement Speakers: Curt discussed the process for finding and inviting speakers for commencement. He stated he feels this decision is too important to be left up to University Relations alone and is asking for help from others. Discussion was held on the possibility of creating a committee with the members being from all areas to help with the nominations. Discussion was also had on funding and guidelines for criteria for the speaker. Curt asked the Deans to take this issue to their Chairs to see if there is any interest in this and then let him know how broad of a committee this should be.
- Faculty Development Fellowship policy and application updates: Bruce discussed the updated policy and application. The Deans approved the changes unanimously.
- Faculty Handbook policy on Overloads: Frank brought the updated draft overload policy back to the Deans Council for discussion. Again it was stated the Collective Bargaining Agreement says the only policies affected by changes are the policies approved on or before the date is the Collective Bargaining Agreement is signed. The Deans approved the overload policy with the updated changes unanimously.
- Announcements: Finnie stated he was asked to remind everyone about the power outages scheduled for this summer. The dates have not been firmly scheduled at this time; however they are seriously looking at sometime in May. They will try to schedule the outage over long holiday weekends.
Finnie also discussed he would be sending emails regarding the CCPE visit scheduled, Thursday, September 20, 2007. He will be requesting information pertaining to this visit.
Finnie stated we had a conflict arise with the Women’s Basketball Team and a tournament schedule during finals week. He reported we sent out letters to each professor letting them know of the conflict and suggesting alternatives.
Finnie also shared he had been attending the SIS Steering Committee Meetings. The committee is in the process of selecting a consulting firm to recommend the student information system that would be best for the University.
Finnie also reported on his recent trip to Colombia and the agreement we have with the Colombian National Police to send students here to learn English. He and Jerry went to sign the agreement and visit with faculty and representatives from Universidad de La Sabana and other educational organizations. They would like to start a faculty exchange. They also met with representatives from Universidad Los Andes who would like to have collaborations with us in the areas of Teacher Education and Criminal Justice.
- Reports from Finnie: Finnie discussed our FY 2008 Programs of Excellence funding allocation in the amount of $120,000, to fund two new tenure track faculty lines in Exercise Science and he also discussed the other proposals submitted.
- Approval of Minutes: The minutes from the August 14, 2007, Deans Council Meeting were
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.