Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, July 17, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Peter Longo, Bruce Forster
ABSENT: Ed Scantling
- Emeritus Status Policy: Finnie distributed the draft Emeritus Status policy and procedures for the Deans to review. Discussion was held and it was decided to send the draft policy on to the Council of Chairs, all department chairs and Faculty Senate for their review with a deadline for comments or changes by December 1, 2007.
- Discussion of ad hoc Academic/Student Scholarship Recruitment Committee: Peter and Frank discussed their idea of setting up an ad hoc committee to help spread the news and help recruit students for academic scholarships. Discussion was held on the formation of the committee.
- Distribution of adjunct rates to colleges when faculty are doing Administrative Jobs: Finnie discussed the current policy of Academic Affairs giving the colleges back $3750 per course each semester when a faculty member is doing an administrative job, such as Women’s Studies, to help fund adjunct salaries. He would like to reduce the amount we give back to the colleges to possibly $3000 per course if that is agreeable to the Deans. Discussion was held and the Deans agreed to this change, with the exception that they can negotiate if there are special circumstances.
- Approval of Final Draft of Academic Affairs form for New Hire Contracts: Discussion was held on the final draft of the Academic Affairs form for New Hire Contracts. A few minor changes were suggested. The form was approved with the suggested changes. The procedure for the form will be as follows: 1) Fill out and submit to Academic Affairs Office with current vita; 2) Kristi will submit form and a copy of the current vita to the Graduate Dean for approval; 3) Kristi will prepare new hire contract letter for approval.
- Summer Session: Discussion was held on the Summer Session budget short-fall for FY07.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank discussed that Debbie Schroeder came and talked at the last Deans Council Meeting regarding things that would need to happen in order to keep invoices paid, etc. Finnie asked that Frank have a proposal ready including language stating that each office or department have an itemized plan if shut down is necessary.
- Approval of Minutes: The minutes from the April 10, April 24, May 10 and June 19, 2007 Deans Council Meetings were approved unanimously.
Other Items: There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned and the Deans attended Lois’ Employee of the Month ceremony. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.