Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Thursday, May 10, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke, Tim Burkink
ABSENT: Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster
GUESTS: Jerry Fox, Carrie Kracl, Jane Strawhecker, Kim Schipporeit, Gloria Vavricka
- Carrie Kracl & Jane Strawhecker RE Bahamas trip to develop a COE & International Education Office sponsored teachers’ workshop for teachers in the Freeport School District: Carrie and Jane gave a power point presentation regarding their trip and information they gathered while in Freeport, Bahamas.
- Kim Schipporeit RE Online Course Opportunities: Kim gave a power point presentation on Online Course opportunities.
- Distribution of adjunct rates to colleges when faculty are doing administrative jobs: Finnie had asked the Deans to think over possibly reducing the $7500 that we give back to the college when they have a faculty member serving in an academic director position. Discussion was held on possible solutions. It was decided to discuss this again at a later meeting.
- Raise for completion of terminal degree and when it becomes effective: Frank raised questions regarding when the actual date of completion for a terminal degree is and when the pay increase should become effective. Discussion was held. The date of completion is the date that the faculty member has been informed by letter that they have done all the necessary steps for the completion of the degree. The date of the $1500 increase will be the official completion date of the degree and it will be added to the faculty member’s base pay effective immediately.
- Pandemic Flu Update: Frank presented the Deans with a draft Plan for Management of Avian Influenza Pandemic for the Division of Academic Affairs. He reported that he would talk with Debbie Schroeder in Information Technology to see how much access is feasible for staff and faculty while off-campus. He will also ask Debbie to come to a future Deans Council Meeting to answer any questions the Deans may have regarding the Flu Plan.
- PoE Proposals: The Deans submitted their requests for Programs of Excellence funds and they all voted on them with the exception of their own. The votes were compiled and will be sent out by email.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Thursday, June 19, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Chancellor’s Dining Room.