Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke
GUESTS: Mary Daake, Dusty Newton
- Mary Daake and Dusty Newton RE Summer Advising and Enrollment (SAE): Mary and Dusty distributed and discussed the handout titled Summer Advising and Enrollment 2007. They discussed adding a faculty piece in which some faculty members would come and possibly mingle with students during the lunch break. They are also considering shortening the day by starting check-in and the welcome a half hour later. Discussion was held on possibly bringing in the Honors Students and the Student Athletes to register earlier than in previous years.
- Dr. Larry Routh and Ms. Jason Barelman RE Career Services Comprehensive Department Review: Dr. Routh and Ms. Barelman asked the Deans how they feel Career Services helps the Students in their specific college? Discussion was held and very positive comments were heard. Another question discussed was “Where are our graduates going?” For the most part they are staying here unless they are technology people and they tend to go out of state.
- Kidzexplore: Bruce discussed funding for space at Kidzexplore. Discussion was held on support from last year. It was the consensus of the Deans to support Kidzexplore as follows: $1000—Mary Rittenhouse, Economics Department, $500—University Relations, $500—SVCAA&SL, $1000—split between remaining Deans.
- Research Advisory Council: Kenya was looking for the go ahead for the UNK Research Advisory Council policy. It was the consensus of the Deans for Kenya to go forward with the policy.
- Graduate Faculty Status of New Hires: Kenya explained that she had received questions regarding graduate faculty status in contract letters. She stated that some have it and some don’t. Discussion was held on the fact that graduate faculty status, or retaining of, should be consistent. Also discussed was, “should this be a standard item in the new hire contract letters?” It was suggested that before the contract letters go out to the new hire they should be approved by the Dean.
- Programs of Excellence Proposal Review and Rankings: Finnie explained that each Dean present would rank all requests, except those from the requesting college. After everyone submitted their choices they were tabulated and ranked. Due to limited time the final spreadsheet will be emailed after tabulation.
- Student Life Updates: Lois discussed that the sign-up for the new residence halls started February 19, 2007. There is currently a waiting list.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank stated there was nothing to report at this time.
- Planning for upcoming Board of Regents visit, March 30, 2007: Finnie reported that the Board of Regents will visit UNK on March 30, for their annual visit. The focus of their visit here will be UNK student activities and programs.
- Approval of Minutes: The minutes for February 13, 2007 were approved by all present.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.