Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, February 13, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke
GUESTS: Mary Sommers
- Mary Sommers RE Update on Freshman and continuing student scholarships: Mary discussed the current numbers of incoming freshman students and gave an update on scholarships.
- Medical Incidents in Campus Buildings: Frank discussed questions he received regarding injured or sick individuals who are unable to walk to Student Health on their own as Student Health cannot make “house calls” to buildings on campus. Discussion was held and Finnie decided he would take this issue to the Chancellor’s Cabinet.
- UNK Advisory Council: Kenya distributed a handout titled UNK Research Advisory Council. She discussed the handout briefly and asked the Deans to look it over and bring back any changes they might have.
- Learning Communities: Lois distributed and discussed a handout titled Residential and Greek Life Learning Communities.
- Sabbatical Policy and Procedures: Bruce stated the Faculty Development Fellowship application deadline does not fit appropriately when developing teaching schedules for each semester. Discussion was held on a more appropriate date. It was the consensus of the group to change the deadline date for approval by the Deans to October 15th and December 1st for approval by the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Student Life.
- Professor Emeritus Policy: Bruce discussed the current Emeritus policy regarding eligibility criteria. Discussion was held on the possibility of revising the current policy which would need Board of Regents approval.
- Study Abroad Proposal Form: Frank distributed handouts titled Short and Long Term Study Abroad Proposal and Study Abroad Proposal New UNK Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program or Course. He stated that Jerry Fox developed the proposal. Frank stated that he will bring a revised form back for the Deans to review.
- Governance for Bachelor of General Studies: Frank discussed and distributed handouts titled Bachelor of General Studies and Bachelor of General studies (or equivalent) programs at NU and UNK Peer Institutions. Discussion was held and Finnie asked Tami to schedule a meeting with Frank, Bill and Debbie Bridges to discuss this degree.
- Student Life Updates: Lois reported they will be conducting a formal review of the career services department March 6-7, 2007. She also reported on a 120 hour prayer vigil taking place from 12:01 a.m., Monday, February 12, through11:59 p.m., February 16, 2007.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank distributed and discussed handouts titled Avian Flu Plan-Human Resources-UNK-Draft and Emergency Operations Response Plan for Academic Affairs. It was discussed that every department needs some kind of a simple flu plan. Frank will prepare a draft outline of a plan for the next meeting.
- Review Committee for screening applications/nominations for Awards such as ORCA and UDTA, etc.: Finnie stated we need to have a process to improve the quality of applications or nominees which are submitted for University-wide awards. Discussion was held on forming a UNK screening committee. It was the consensus of the group to set up a screening committee with past University-wide faculty committee members exclusively. Finnie will prepare a draft proposal and bring it back to the Deans for review.
- Approval of Minutes: The minutes for January 17 and 30 were approved with slight modifications by all present.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.