Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke
GUESTS: Linda Pratt--Interim Executive Vice President and Provost, Jerry Fox
- Jerry Fox RE Nebraska Semester Abroad Program: Jerry discussed the history and details of the Nebraska Semester Abroad Program. Discussion was held on if there should be a formal application process for faculty.
- Bachelor Degree in General Studies: Frank received clarification for the question of who was responsible for developing the writing and assessment plans for the bachelor’s degree in General Studies, not the General Studies program. Mary Daake is the academic advisor for this program and she says there are approximately a dozen students in this program at any time. College of Natural and Social Sciences and College of Fine Arts and Humanities jointly house it, though there is no department, individual or committee designated to be responsible for it. Discussion was held and it was decided that Frank would check with Kim Schipporeit and Mary Daake and make sure it is a viable degree and if it is then put together a committee and assign them to get the plans developed.
- Student Absence Policy: Finnie discussed the student absence policy and the fact that it has no checks and balances. Discussion was held and it was decided to take the policy back to the Council of Chairs and get clarification on the policy and bring the findings back to the Deans in 3 or 4 weeks.
- Student Life Updates: Lois reported that she had been dealing with a lot of individual students. She also reported that the new residence halls are making headway and are working longer hours. Also, Lois said the residence halls have been receiving calls from students who are currently living off campus who are interested in moving back to campus. Student Success is growing by leaps and bounds, counseling and health care are expanding their staff with suicide grant money. They will be hiring a new psychiatrist next week, who will be on campus one day per month for 12 hours.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank reported there have been more cases of the Flu in birds in Asia, but there has been nothing new here.
- 11:00 a.m. – Linda Pratt, Interim Executive Vice President and Provost, RE Programs of Excellence and other Funding Opportunities: Linda discussed the Governor’s budget proposal, PoE funds, EPSCoR funds, NRI funds, the Kelly Fund, Diversity funds and the Spellings Committee Report.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.