Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor, Janet Wilke
ABSENT: Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster
GUESTS: Debbie Schroeder, Don Ray, Ross Taylor
- Debbie Schroeder RE Presentation on SCOLA and discussion on clickers: Debbie gave a web presentation on SCOLA and it’s uses and then she and Don Ray gave a demonstration, with the Deans Council participating, on clickers and how they work in a classroom.
- A. Ross Taylor representing the Academic Information Technology Committee RE the need for better communication regarding technological development: Dr. Taylor stated with the direction budget cuts may be taking he would like to propose that the Deans and the Academic Information Technology Committee keep an open dialogue between them. He feels we need to keep these lines of communication open so we are not duplicating the purchasing of software, etc., and also when we do purchase in bulk it almost always leads to savings. He also asked if there could be some kind of resolution made to present to the colleges stating this procedure. Discussion was held and the Deans suggested the committee develop something concrete and bring the resolution back to the Deans Council for approval.
- UNK Policy for the monitoring of Online Course Instruction during the semester by Department Chairs: Ed asked what kind of policy we have for the monitoring of online courses. Discussion was held and it was decided that Distance Education could send out some kind of notice if after two weeks the professor had not been monitoring the online course.
- Discussion of one-time money for this year: Finnie stated that he had been projecting what money we would have available as one-time only money from the current year PoE funds. Discussion was held on where the Deans are currently with their projects. Discussion was also held on other funds available. Finnie stated that the deans should send their requests for one-time only funds to him by the week of February 15th. Requests for Foundation Grants will be due February 19th.
- Responsibility for developing and writing assessment plans for General Studies: Frank discussed that Kate Heelan had sent him a message advising him that it was he and Bill’s responsibility to develop and write the assessment plan for the General Studies Degree. Discussion was held and Frank said he would get more information and bring it back to the Deans at a later date.
- Learning Communities: Since Lois was absent we will discuss this topic at a future meeting.
- Student Life Updates: Since Lois was absent we will discuss this topic at a future meeting.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank discussed that the Pandemic Flu Plans need to be complete by January. Discussion was held on who all needs to have plans.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.