Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
November 7, 2006 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor and Janet Wilke
- Cheryl Bressington & Finnie RE Zero Tolerance for Sexual Harassment: Finnie stated that Cheryl Bressington could not attend the meeting today so proceeded to discuss and distribute a handout with a draft proposal regarding sexual harassment. Discussion was held and suggested changes were made to the draft proposal. The proposal reads as follows: The University of Nebraska at Kearney is committed to maintaining a social climate for all students, faculty, staff and visitors that is fair and responsible. As colleagues or supervisors we avoid the exploitation (economic, emotional, intellectual or sexual) of others for personal advantage, and we avoid any form of discrimination based on factors such as age, color, economic status, health conditions, marital status, national origin, physical disability, political beliefs, race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation. The University also will not tolerate discrimination prohibited under this policy against students, faculty, staff or visitors by anyone associated with the University of Nebraska at Kearney. Any discrimination or harassment constitutes misconduct. Alleged offences will be referred to the appropriate disciplinary authority and if the offences are verified, penalties will be imposed, including termination or expulsion.
- UNK Courses made available to High School Students: Kenya reported they had met yesterday with Curt Carlson to discuss advertising the courses that will be made available to High School Students. Kenya asked if the Deans would be comfortable with an announcement being made to state something like there are courses available for high school students to take if they meet the requirements specified. She also stated there are specific courses available through Distance Education on a first come first serve basis. Discussion was held on the fact that time is of the essence to get the word out to the community regarding the new plan we are setting into motion. Discussion was also held on how the application fees are waived. Discussion was held on the instructors teaching the courses and the tuition discount.
- Workload Credit for team-taught courses: Frank raised the question on how to break down workload credits when faculty are team-teaching a course. Discussion was held and Frank will do some checking to see what kind of policies our peer institutions have on this.
- Writing and Assessment plans for the degree in General Studies: Frank raised the question regarding who was to do the writing and assessment plans for the Bachelor of Science General Studies Degree. Discussion was held and it was decided clarification needed to be made as to which program they are asking about and what extent the General Studies Council will have with this degree.
- Extended hour study space for finals week: Janet Wilke stated that at the last Faculty Senate Library Committee Meeting the student on the committee addressed the fact that during finals week they need a quiet place to study. Discussion was held on various places and that they all would need someone to monitor the areas. Janet will check with Lois and see what ideas she has.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank reported the Committee on Teaching Continuity will meet tomorrow to try to wrap it up and send out some recommendations. Discussion was held on if there were any known cases of the flu passing person to person and Frank reported that there has been none known of at this time.
- Student Life Updates: Lois had to leave for another commitment so she did not give her report.
Other items: Discussion was held on the minutes of the September 26, 2006,
Deans Council Meeting. The minutes were approved unanimously.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 at 9:00 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.