Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
October 10, 2006 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor and Janet Wilke
GUESTS: Kim Schipporeit
- Kim Schipporeit RE Summary of Graduating Senior Survey: Kim showed a power point and distributed handouts to the Deans for each of their colleges regarding the surveys returned by graduating seniors.
- Proposal for the allocation of non-resident tuition differential: Kenya distributed the Non-Resident Tuition Differential proposal for the reallocation of Funds. She asked that the Deans look the proposal over and be prepared to make a decision at the next meeting.
- Programs of Excellence: Finnie distributed copies of the proposals and a spreadsheet and asked each dean to read over the proposal submitted from their area to make sure it is accurate, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Discussion was held on the timeline for Fiscal Year 2008 PoE Proposals.
- CAO Meeting Issues: Finnie discussed several items that had been discussed at the last CAO Meeting. 1) Regarding POE Proposals, we must begin preparing reports to follow UNL’s online format. We need to pay particular attention to the way we generate reports, and then submit them to Central with a URL to access the reports. Standardizing and making the reports predictable so it’s easier to report the information and create uniformity. 2) Finnie discussed the E-Transcript Initiative, allowing high school and community college students to have their transcripts sent electronically to wherever the students would like them sent. 3) Finnie reported that Donal Burns asked that we submit the APR schedule for all centers making sure that it shows when the next review for each center will be.
- Discussion of reasons or basis of rankings of PoE Proposals: Discussion was held on the reasons or rationale for ranking PoE proposals. See attached handout.
- Pay as you go Summer Session & Tuition Flexibility for circumstances like Dual Enrollment: This agenda item is kept on as a reminder.
- Dual Enrollment Classes for High School Students: Kenya reported the courses (Political Science, English, Math and Psychology) and schools are now known. They are now trying to get the faculty set up to teach. Frank asked if there is funding for overloads and Finnie said he would provide funding for two overloads. Discussion was held on limits on enrollment for these classes.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank reported the Committee on Teaching Continuity split into two groups and have started working on scheduling & policy issues. He also reported that the University of Maryland and Purdue have excellent pandemic flu plans set up on their websites.
- Student Life Updates: Lois reported that they are making significant progress on the buildings and the steel beams will be going up soon. A group of students are meeting to help provide input on decorating and furniture.
- Other items:
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 9:00 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.