Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Bruce Forster, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, Ed Scantling, Kenya Taylor and Lois Flagstad
ABSENT: Finnie Murray, Janet Wilke
GUESTS: Deb Huryta, James Paul, Brandon Benitz
- Deb Huryta RE Dual Career Program: Deb Huryta distributed business cards and discussed the updates to the Dual Career Program website. She has been working cooperatively with Career Services and the Job Service to assist in helping spouses secure employment in Kearney. She reported that since January 1, 2006, she had worked with approximately 15 candidates and is currently working with three.
- James Paul, Chartwells RE Freshman Orientation August 19, 2006: James Paul came to discuss the noon meal for freshman orientation on August 19, 2006. He suggested the colleges stagger their meals during the 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. so the union can accommodate them as quickly and efficiently as possible and also keep them all relatively close to the union. Discussion was held on possible scenarios and scheduling. Brandon Benitz briefly discussed the schedule for Blue and Gold Week.
- Dual Enrollment Classes for High School Students: Frank reported that Peter Longo has noted 1/3 of the students entering UNK have acquired considerable hours from our competitors while still in high school, and are using these college credits as high school credits also, therefore receiving dual credit. He feels as though we may be missing out on a beneficial opportunity and would like to discuss this more at the next Deans Council Meeting.
- Pandemic Flu Updates: Frank reported the Teaching Continuity Group has been set up and they are in the process of trying to set up a meeting.
- Student Life Updates: Lois reported on the weeds in the new residence halls area and according to the contractors due to possible soil loss the area cannot be disked. However it will be mowed soon. The beginning construction date is still unknown, subcontractor bids have gone out. She also announced she is a member of the Buffalo County Pandemic Flu Committee.
- Other items: Discussion was held on the minutes of the June 27, 2006, Deans Council Meeting. The minutes were approved with slight modifications with all present in favor.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 9:00 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.