Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Ken Nikels, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Larry Hardesty, Marilyn Hadley, Frank Harrold and William Jurma
ABSENT: Bruce Forster
GUESTS: Kim Schipporeit, Kate Heelan
- Kim Schipporeit and Kate Heelan RE Writing Intensive Proposals: Kim distributed handouts titled WI Quick Facts and WI Program Approved Changes. Kim and Kate discussed and explained how the requirements and revisions were decided. Discussion was held on WI revision item #2-Require 3 hours of WI to be taken within the student’s program of study. WI will be assessed in this course. The Deans felt to implement a WI plan for every department will be very complicated and time consuming. Kim and Kate stated that WI plans don’t have to be done for every department as some departments may be able to share plans. The Deans suggested this should be clarified in the revisions.
- Requests for phased retirement – are there general criteria affecting approval besides budgetary and departmental impact?: Frank had questions regarding retirement contracts already in process—what procedures should you follow? Finnie stated if you and the department chair believe it is in the best interest of your college then you must be able to show this. Include the Dean, Department Chair and Dave Anderson regarding the plan you will prepare for the Chancellor. The Chancellor will then review the information and make the final decision based on the information you submitted. Make sure you inform Finnie of the plan ahead of time.
- Distance Course Development Stipend, the approval form and process, and the faculty contract language: Ken distributed a form titled Approval for Remuneration for the Initial Preparation of a Distance Education* Course for Summer 2006 & Fall 2006. Discussion was held regarding changes to the form.
- Pandemic Flu Update: Lois reported that they were trying to get a meeting scheduled and also adding to the committee LeAnn Obrecht and John Horvath. Frank discussed going to a mini medical school at UNMC regarding the Flu Pandemic. Frank also discussed that studies show the first cases of bird flu appearing in the United States will start in Alaska. He also stated the main thing we have to worry about in Nebraska is if the virus mutates from bird to person and then is passed from person to person.
- Student Life Updates: Lois discussed there was a water leak in the Student Affairs Building today and the electricity was out also. She also discussed the Center for Disease Control worked with UNK and Two Rivers State Health Center to test 458 students for the mumps virus. She also discussed: The Board of Regents approval of student fees increases and the two positions Student Life has open and are searching, Director of Multi-Cultural Affairs and Assistant Dean of Student Life.
- Other items: Discussion was held on the minutes of the March 28, April 6 and April 11, 2006, Deans Council Meeting. The minutes were approved with amendments with all present in favor.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Thursday, June 6, 2006 at 9:00 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.