Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Ken Nikels, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Larry Hardesty, Marilyn Hadley, Frank Harrold and William Jurma
GUEST: John Lakey
- John Lakey RE Planning for Pandemic Flu: John distributed and discussed the handouts titled “NE Health & Human Services System-Pandemic Flu”, Business Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist” and Blueprint for Pandemic Flu Preparedness Planning for Colleges and Universities”. He also discussed how he and the Emergency Operations Team have been planning and preparing for such an incidence. Finnie suggested we keep “Pandemic Flu Update” on the agenda every time we meet.
- University Wide Capital Campaign Meeting, March 17, 2006 in Lincoln: The Deans discussed the Capital Campaign meeting held in Lincoln, and felt it was basically leading up to a feasibility study of doing an actual capital Campaign.
- FY06 POE Report: Finnie distributed and discussed the POE spreadsheet and report, and asked the Deans to advise him if any changes were needed as he had plans to take the current report forward to the Chancellor.
- Distance Education Fee and Distance Education Stipend: Ken discussed with the Council the policy regarding stipends and the distance education fee. He stated they need to develop a plan to address the fact that none of the distance ed fee goes towards paying the distance ed stipends. They also need to work closely with the Deans to make sure their needs are being met as far as the appropriate distance education classes being offered.
- Differential Tuition Reports: Ken distributed and discussed a handout titled “Distance Course Non-Resident Tuition Differential, Spring Semester 2006”.
- Developments in the Emergency Operation Team: Frank and John Lakey met with the Faculty Welfare Committee and discussed how to get the needed information out to the faculty and staff as quickly and efficiently as possible. Also discussed was the need to know procedures for people with disabilities. Frank advised they had discussed assembling, for each building, department chairs and secretaries and getting them the information to distribute, also discussed was developing a handout with a routine for emergency situations.
- Student Life Updates: Lois reported on the bid process from contractors; they have a new plan form the Board of Regents. The new bid deadline is April 27, 2006. There will be site work being done in the meantime. The new request for proposals states that one of the new buildings must be done by July 1, 2007. Current housing costs must be increased to help cover the costs of the new buildings. The remaining buildings will be finished during the 2007-08 academic year. Lois stated we had lost more students this year due to the fact they had to move.
- Rank & Tenure Clarification Committee: Ken reported they had set up a committee meeting for Friday. The committee members are: Ken Nikels, Frank Harrold, Mary Ann Barton, Joseph Benz, Anne Foradori, Laurence Hilton, and Larry Kuskie (after this date Allan Jenkins was added to the committee). It was suggested to send a notice campus wide announcing the committee.
- Writing Intensive Proposals from Faculty Senate: Bruce stated he had met with his chairs regarding the Writing Intensive Proposals from Faculty Senate and they had a lot of questions regarding the criteria. After a brief discussion it was decided to have Martha Kruse come and speak to the Council and answer any questions they may have.
- Other items: Finnie urged the Council to attend the World Affairs Conference where Peter Peterson would be delivering a keynote address, April 12, 2006, 10:30 a.m., Nebraska Student Union, Ponderosa Room.
Discussion was held on the minutes of the March 2, 2006, Deans Council Meeting. The minutes were approved with all present in favor.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Thursday, April 6, 2006 at 9:30 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.