Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Thursday, March 2, 2006 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Ken Nikels, Lois Flagstad, Bruce Forster, Larry Hardesty, Marilyn Hadley, Frank Harrold and William Jurma
GUEST: Jeremy Schnieder
- Jeremy Schnieder RE Writing Center: Jeremy distributed and discussed the handout titled “Recent UNK Writing Center Development”.
- Foundation Grants: is there any quidance on the amounts of money to be requested in proposals? Should non-priority programs be encouraged to submit proposals? Only significant proposals should be presented, preferably programs that show programmatic needs. Use good common sense when making a proposal. In many respects, every program at UNK is a priority program, so just because a program does not have the label of “Priority Program,” should not prevent it from gaining support from the Foundation. On the other hand, ideas put forward must be justified as priorities in the Campus’ strategic plan. The Chancellor will select what goes forward.
- University Wide Capital Campaign Meeting, March 17, 2006 in Lincoln: Finnie stated that he had visited with the Chancellor and he would like to have each Dean work with their faculty to develop ideas for a “great leap forward” for the program. It will be very important to identify potential donors for the ideas that are being sought.
- Differential Tuition Options: Finnie stated that we had been given the option to request specific, selected increases in tuition. He suggested discussing the option with chairs of departments that can justify a differential increase in tuition due to cost of program, and see if there is interest in requesting specific increases.
- Emergency Procedures for Deans: Frank distributed and discussed the handout “Emergency Operations Response Plan for Academic Affairs.”
- Student Life: Lois discussed student appeals, the Student Life DVD, Chancellor’s Leadership Class, students disrupting classroom settings, bids for new residence halls, Loper Dollars and declining debit cards.
- POE Funding Annual Report: Finnie needs information to finish the narrative report to Jay Noren. Please submit any changes you have to what was previously submitted, and report on expenditures and benefits for POE use in FY06.
- Other items: Marilyn distributed and discussed the registration form for “The Summer 2006 Advanced Placement teacher Training Institute”.
Discussion was held on the minutes of the January 31 and February 10, 2006, Deans Council Meetings. The minutes were amended and approved with all present in favor.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.