Minutes of the Meeting of the Deans Council
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 – 9 a.m.
Warner Conference Room
PRESENT: Finnie Murray, Ken Nikels, Bruce Forster, Larry Hardesty, Frank Harrold, William Jurma, and Ed Scantling
ABSENT: Lois Flagstad and Marilyn Hadley
GUEST: Kim Schipporeit
1. Bruce Forster RE UNK Support for Kidzexplore: Bruce shared a picture of the facade and a brief explanation of the activities planned for the event. Discussion was held and it was decided to provide support for the “Marquee Level” of sponsorship in the amount of $3,000. The Deans will fund at least half and try to find other sources for the remainder.
2. Ken Nikels RE Distance Education Course Development Stipend Process: Ken discussed that the stipend we pay faculty to develop distance education courses has been depleted. Therefore, some faculty who are scheduled to teach this summer have not received funding to develop their courses. It was the consensus of the group to develop a new tiered contract for the Distance Education Course Stipend.
3. Kim Schipporeit RE Summer Survey of Students and Registrar’s production schedule for preparing 2007 Summer and Fall schedules: Kim distributed and discussed handouts titled Enrollment Comparison 6th Day (Census and Schedule Production.
4. Election of Dean to serve on Rank & Tenure Guidelines Clarification Committee: Finnie stated he had presented the proposed recommendations for the Rank & Tenure Guideline Clarification Committee to Faculty Senate President, Martha Kruse. Faculty Senate will be forwarding us names for the ad-hoc committee.
Bruce suggested that Frank serve as the second Dean on the committee since CNSS has more faculty than any of the other colleges. Frank agreed to serve and all present were in favor.
5. Proposals for Academic Equipment and Programs of Excellence (POE) Funds: Finnie discussed that the deadline for the report for POE Funds is due to Jay Noren by March 31, 2006. Therefore, he requested information from the Deans by the first week of March. Finnie compiled and distributed a spreadsheet with everyone’s proposals for Academic Equipment and Programs of Excellence Funds. Discussion was held. It was the consensus of the group to schedule a meeting towards the end of next week to discuss only this agenda item. Finnie requested that the Deans bring back their proposals ranked and ready to state the importance of each.
6. Other items:
Finnie discussed that Faculty Senate had shared some information on Developmental Advising and stated that he would get the information out to the Deans for their review.
Discussion was held on the minutes of the January 18, 2006, Deans Council Meeting. The minutes were amended and approved with all present in favor.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting of the Deans will be on Thursday, February 10, 2006 at 9 a.m. in the Warner Conference Room.