Student/Family Information


Contact Information:
Phone: 308-865-8527

What's the difference between UNK's Dual Enrollment Program and Early Entry?

The UNK Dual Enrollment Program requires that high school students apply for admission and be accepted as a college student at UNK.  These students receive college level instruction at their high school from their high school instructor while earning both college and high school credit for the course.  Dual Enrollment students may enroll for a maximum of 11 hours per college semester and a total of 30 college hours prior to completion of their high school requirements. 

The UNK Early Entry Program requires that high school students apply for admission and be accepted as a college student at UNK.  College credit is earned for courses offered on line or on campus by UNK faculty. No high school credit is awarded.  Early entry students may enroll for a maximum of nine hours per college semester and a total of 16 college hours prior to completion of their high school requirements.

Is this "real" college credit?

Yes! Courses offered through UNK's Dual Enrollment Program are "real" college classes. A student taking a Dual Enrollment course is registered and enrolled at UNK as a "non-degree seeking student prior to high school graduation." The grades earned in Dual Enrollment courses are the first college grades a student will receive. Whether this student decides to attend UNK or another institution after high school, grades earned in Dual Enrollment courses will be a permanent part of his/her academic record.

Note – Participation in the UNK Dual Enrollment Program does not guarantee admission to UNK as a degree seeking student. All degree seeking students must submit an application for admission.  For Dual Enrollment students who apply to UNK within two years of admission to the Dual Enrollment Program, the $45 admission application fee will be waived.

How much will it cost and is assistance available?

The initial cost is a $45 application fee payable to UNK Admissions. Current tuition and fees can be found under Cost and Courses. Tuition and fees are subject to change. It is the student’s responsibility to share billing information with parents.

Federal Financial Aid is not available to students who are still attending high school.  Contact your school counselor for information on scholarship or financial aid opportunities for high school students participating in Dual Enrollment courses.

How is eligibility for the Dual Enrollment Program determined?

Student eligibility for the UNK Dual Enrollment Program is determined by participating high school and university officials. Students must meet the following criteria:

  • Be juniors or seniors; and
  • Meet the prerequisites of the course or otherwise demonstrate the ability to achieve success in the course; or
  • Be formally identified as high ability or gifted students by the school participating in the dual credit program.

Students must also meet the following academic requirements:

  • Hold a GPA of 3.0 or better; or
  • Earn an ACT composite score of at least 20 or an equivalent score on another valid assessment; or
  • Earn an ACT sub-score of at least 20 or equivalent on another valid assessment relevant to the offered dual enrollment course or courses; or
  • Rank in the upper one-half of high school class; or
  • Demonstrate through some alternative means the capacity for academic success in the desired course or courses. (Examples include student portfolios, letters or recommendations, and student performances/exhibitions.

Note - The preceding student eligibility guidelines may be waived in special circumstances by the appropriate secondary and postsecondary officials, including the department offering the course and the dean of that department's college.

What are the benefits for the student?

College credits earned through the UNK Dual Enrollment Program will become part of a student's permanent college record and can be applied toward both high school and college graduation. College credits that are earned may be transferred to other colleges or universities and provide advantages in making the transition to post secondary education.

Advantages to Students:

  • Opportunity to earn college credit at a fraction of the cost.
  • Demonstrate competitiveness for admission to universities and scholarships.
  • Enriches the course opportunities for outstanding secondary school students.
  • Gain experience and confidence.
  • Provides students with college credit that can be used toward requirements at UNK and may be transferable to a college or university.
  • Grades earned through Dual Enrollment become part of a student’s permanent high school and college transcripts.
  • Shortens the time to attain a college degree or certificate.
  • Provides more time in college to pursue a double major, graduate early, explore internship and study abroad opportunities.
  • Lessen course load once fully enrolled in college.

Will dual enrollment credit be accepted at another college or university?

Acceptance of Dual Enrollment credit is subject to specific institutional policy for transfer credits.  Before enrolling in a Dual Enrollment course, it is important to determine how the course will transfer to each university or college the student may be planning to attend.  It is the student’s responsibility to make a contact with each college or university. Most institutions have a general statement on their website that explains their transfer credit policy along with contact information for a specific office or person in charge of evaluating transfer credit. More information on transfer is available under Transferring Dual Enrollment Credit. 

Will I be able to access my student's information? (FERPA)

Students who are enrolled in courses at both a high school and a postsecondary institution provide a unique situation.  While the rights under FERPA belong to the parents with respect to high school records, these rights belong to the student with respect to the postsecondary records.  The student can give express written permission to the parent to access his/her education record by contacting the Office of Student Records.  Please note that there are separate release forms for each individual office.  UNK strongly encourages parents of dual enrolled students to respect the student’s ownership of his or her education record at the college level and seek ways to gain information while safeguarding the student’s rights and responsibility. 

 If you have questions, please contact:

Office of Student Records
Warner Hall - UNK

Will I be able to access my student's MyBLUE account?

Students have the option to allow others to view their academic records stored in MyBLUE by opening Guest Access. Inside MyBLUE, the student can select "Profile” from the menu and proceed with the Guest Access process.

Where can I find Tax Information? (IRS Form 1098-T)

1098-T Form can be viewed online at under Student Accounts/1098T Form. Your NUID and password are required to login. As required by FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act), the University of Nebraska at Kearney cannot provide this information directly to parents, other persons who may claim the student as a dependent, or tax preparers.

The University of Nebraska will generate paper or electronic IRS Form 1098-T Tuition statements to all students, as required by federal regulations, who were enrolled at the University of Nebraska and have reportable transactions during the calendar year. Regulations do not require generation of forms for International Students or for non-credit courses. 

The University of Nebraska will report this same information to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you have further questions, contact University of Nebraska at Kearney Finance Office at or (308) 865-8948. The University of Nebraska at Kearney cannot provide tax advice. Taxpayers are directed to publications from the Internal Revenue Service or a tax professional about personal income tax situations. Taxpayers are requested to independently verify all amounts with their records. More information is available under Education Tax Credits.